· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default A good example of effective dog training

0 Not allowed!
    I found this video looking for something else, and thought it was very funny and sad at the same time.

However, it is a really good example of very effective dog training. The lady in the video has done a excellent job of training her English Mastiff that he doesn't have to listen to her.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I think if I had a dog that big I would have taken more time with his obedience training. But then I watched part two and it showed they were just playing around and when she told the dog to get off the bed he did right away without any fuss.
    Last edited by mommy1; 05-18-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    You still have to be careful about how you play with a dog like that. Dominant behaviors can be developed as a result. I had to learn that lesson the hard way many years ago and pay for some private classes with a professional dog trainer to be shown what I was doing wrong and how I need to fix it.

In the start of her first video, she did start be giving him actual commands like she in the second video. The only difference was in the first one, that lead to some play and in the second one he listened (likely because she used treats). Not a good practice to allow when your dog weights more than you do !!! Nothing wrong with playing with your dog when there are in a playful mood, but a command should be followed.

You can that video a few different ways I guess because you can't always see the body language which dogs listen to just as much as verbal commands.
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-19-2014 at 12:09 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I believe Link's(orDinks?) learned command is "Get DOWN"! For playing she was saying "Get off this bed"

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm not going to get into a big dog psychology debate with you but I have had many different dogs of all sizes, from bigger than me to my 5lb chihuahua. "Play" (notice the quotation marks) with dogs can be a way to maintain dominance over them, and when dogs "play" they growl, and some dogs are more vocal than others. My current dog who is part rhodesian ridgeback and part weimaraner is the most vocal dog I have ever had. He even grumbles in his sleep and so does his litter mate. You just have to win every game, usually this was easier with the chihuahua than it was with my giant schnauzer who weighed 100lbs before he was 9 months old. They do need to know their place in the pack and I do agree treats are not the best way to teach them this.
    Last edited by mommy1; 05-19-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pRED View Post
    I believe Link's(orDinks?) learned command is "Get DOWN"! For playing she was saying "Get off this bed"
    Ah, OK, I missed that part

Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    some dogs are more vocal than others.
    LOL, I know what you mean. Our English Mastiff is the most vocal dog I know. He makes all kinds of growling noises when he plays with his big sister and his dog toys, and even sometimes in his sleep.

I am sorry if I came off as wanting to debate. I just thought it would make a good topic to talk about as many of us here have dogs as well

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I am sorry if I came off as wanting to debate. I just thought it would make a good topic to talk about as many of us here have dogs as well
    No, I was just making it clear that I wasn't trying to start a debate.

Actually she does tell the dog to "get down" in the beginning of the first video. But the tone of her voice and body posture in the beginning is playful. As Cliff stated dogs read body language and together with the tone of her voice the dog knew she was playing. If you watch the video again you will see the dog is being very playful as well despite the growls. Like I said, some dogs are more vocal than others. You can tell he is being playful by his body language and the tone of his "voice". His butt is in the air, he is spinning and hopping around, and his howls and growls are not as deep as I am sure he can make them. This all shows me they are just playing around. I know when my dog gets serious to because of strangers his barks and growls take on a different tone, they are much deeper and serious, and his posture changes from relaxed (like the dog in the video) to a more firm stance.

1 Not allowed!
    Yup

I guess I just like a different approach. I like to train my dogs to respond only to vocal commands, even when there is no body language to read. Just a different approach which I have got the best results from. More than likely because it is the approach I can be the most constant with.

I would guess my initial reaction to that video would have been a lot different if that lady was in the video as well.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    ...lol...

Yesterday I was complaining because all 4 cats decided to sleep with us...I had no room for my legs and had a cat on my head...

But they do listen when I tell them to get off the bed...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

2 Not allowed!
    yea, having a doberman, i understand the need to being the dominant figure in the house. At this point my dog knows if I look at her a certain way what it means - I actually never need to punish her physically (which makes me happy to not need to do). If she does something wrong I just show my disappointment and it is more effective than yelling at her

She did something the other day the melted my heart - since we got the new bed she hasn't been allowed to sleep with us, so I always tell her get get out of the room, she'll go downstairs to the couch and sleep.
    Well I get in bed and she comes up to the bed, licks me twice and turns and walks downstairs without me saying anything.... she has done this 3-4 nights in a row :)

She's kissing me goodnight is what my fiance says