· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Sorry Mike, but I can't see the pic, could be due to me using my phone right now

However, I would calculate your head loss to be at ~1900 to ~2000 GPH. Your mag 24 should be OK for this, but you could also ague that it is a little underpowered for this set-up at 2400 gph. I would suggest up-grading to t a slightly larger pump as it would seam the mag 24 did not stand up very well for you.

I would suggest you find a pump with minimum of 2800 to 2900 GPH (assuming 0 head hight). There are two challenges with getting a submersible pump with that much flow, one being the heat being produced and the second is the size of these pumps can get pretty big.

I would suggest looking into a DC powered speed wave return pump model DC12000. It has 3200 gph but fully controllable to your to your ~2400 gph requirements. This extra capacity would be needed should you ever want to add a media reactor, frag grow-out tank, or what ever you may want to add latter on. The DC10000 could also work, but you would be running it a full capacity which I never like as this can cause extra wear-n-tear and heat from the pump.

These pumps will also use about 60% less power than a similar sized mag pump which will help to keep the monthly bills lower

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/07/25/speedwave-dc-pumps/
    Sorry sometimes the images do not post right from tapatalk. I have looked at the DC pumps and am just a bit concerned if they are actually hitting those specs. From what I have read it seems that the Wavelines, reef octopus diablo and jebao pumps are all the same and come from the same factory. The Jebao DC12000 looks and specs identical to the Waveline DC12000 but $150 less.

I really like the idea of variable speed and the benefits they provide. I was looking at the sicce hf 10 and 12 and they are almost too long to fit in my return chamber which is 12" and they are just about 11.5".

I also have considered a reeflo dart/snapper hybrid and going over the top of the sump via a u tube set up.

Last edited by mrramsey; 05-19-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    I am using a reeflo dart/snapper hybrid on my 180 and I love it. One of the best pumps out there IMO. I'm not to sure it would work that well overtop of the sump with a u-tube set-up. However, it would be a good idea to see if you can find anyone who is currently using one in a similar (or same) over the sump set-up. Everyone that I know who is currently using a reeflo dart/snapper hybrid is like me, too chicken to try it in a non-traditional set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I am using a reeflo dart/snapper hybrid on my 180 and I love it. One of the best pumps out there IMO. I'm not to sure it would work that well overtop of the sump with a u-tube set-up. However, it would be a good idea to see if you can find anyone who is currently using one in a similar (or same) over the sump set-up. Everyone that I know who is currently using a reeflo dart/snapper hybrid is like me, too chicken to try it in a non-traditional set-up
    I did email Chris over at Reeflo about it and sent him all of my tank info. He gave me some suggestions on how to make it work even though their installation guide says not to.
    From Chris:
    1. install a check valve-back flow preventer on the intake under the water
    2. drill a port (hole) with a plug at the highest point of the U
    3. put a hose into the port and when it overflows-cap it with the plug pp
    4. fire up the pump

I definitley have enough volume in the return chamber that it would not suck air from a vortex and my siphon breaks quickly when the power is off that I really don't think the check valve would be necessary.

I did do some more reading on the Waveline pump and while the pump seems like it could be the same the power supply and control are definitely different animals all together. I just may go with the DC12000 from Waveline. I like the softstart feature of the dc pumps as you can imagine there is a lot of air in the line when it drains down. I had a swing check valve on my setup when I first launched it solely for to prevent a lot of air in the lines but removed it to put a piece of vinyl tube in an effort to quiet the pump some.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12