· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Default Maybe everything really does happen for a reason

1 Not allowed!
    Well, just got home from the weekend we spent with my parents in my old home town. It was sad to see my 10g sitting there with no betta in it.

But.. when we were at my parents place, I was telling my dad about how I was hoping to get a bigger tank and he says, "Well, I have one upstairs that you can have". So, I went and checked it out, got hubby to measure it and turns out it's a 20g high. I would have preferred a long but it's a free tank, right?

I believe it was Sandz that mentioned to me that I could have the CPD's I really want in a 20g. Said they would go well with a couple killis and some dwarf Cories. Well, I seriously could not stop thinking about this and when I started looking into killis, I was even more excited! They are beautiful! This weekend, I went to my old lfs just to check it out. The owner had a fish in one of the tanks (not for sale.. a "for show" tank) that both me and hubby just loved! Went home and googled the fish and it's a lampeye killi!

So, now I have to get a stand for the tank, a glass top, a light fixture, heater, substrate and filter. Oh, first I need to clean it. Is there an easy way to get mineral build up off a tank? I'm going to attempt my first fishless cycle. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the 10g. Should I cycle it as well? If I do decide to cycle it, should I clean it out and start from scratch? Sorry for the long post but I'm pretty excited!

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

4 Not allowed!
    Scrub the 20g with vinegar, that usually helps take the build up off. If it doesn't come off easily, you may have to soak it in vinegar a bit.

It's up to you whether you clean the 10g or not, at the very least give it a water change. I would cycle it though.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 
    to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new tank!! And like Mommy said, vinegar is best! It'll do the job and much easier to clean out than any soap or chemical cleaner. If it has been sitting empty, make sure to fill it with water in the garage for a couple of days to check for leaks!
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Two tanks are better than one, right? An empty tank with all the equipment already - I wouldn't be able to resist. Your ideas for the 20 sound great, but once that's up, surely you can think of something for the 10? Have fun!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely get some vinegar after work today and try scrubbing the 20g. As for the 10g, the only reason I thought I may not cycle it is because I was thinking of using it for a QT tank. But, hubby wants something in it and I have to admit I do too. It's a half moon tank so it's kinda different than most. Should I take everything out and start from scratch? I had the betta in there just short of 3 weeks and it's 4 days now with nothing in it. Everything has stayed up and running.

@SueD- I still need a lot of stuff for the 20g
    Stand
    Glass top
    Lights (preferably LED)
    Filter
    Heater
    Substrate

I think I would like to try sand in this tank but I admit I'm a little intimidated by it. If anyone has suggestions about the stuff I need, please share. I'm going to be researching after work.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just put ammonia in the 10g and start the fishless cycle.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    Why would you be intimidated by sand? It's not different than gravel to use. Cleaning it is a little different, but no more difficult.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Why would you be intimidated by sand? It's not different than gravel to use. Cleaning it is a little different, but no more difficult.
    I just figure it would be harder to clean.. easier to suck up. I only have a siphon so I wasn't sure if it would be too strong. I really would like to try it though along with some low light plants.

0 Not allowed!
    And if it's ok to just start the 10g as is, will do. I have to try and find ammonia after work.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    If you get a larger grain sand it doesn't get sucked up. I have play sand in one tank and Flourite sand in another and they are good. To clean is a bit different, instead of sticking the siphon down in the sand like you would gravel you just hover it over the top and swish the water slightly to move the particles up so the siphon can get them.