· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Just found out that my LFS can get dwarf chains for me at $5 each! Decision made!
    Oh MY!! wow, what a sweet deal!! I'm so jealous. Good for you!!

I'm guessing pretty tiny. The lady who runs the LFS and I have sort of an unspoken deal: She special orders me fish and sells them to me at-cost (and I don't have to pay shipping!). In return, she gets experience with new species she would otherwise never order (and would probably never even know about), and occasionally I sell mature, healthy fish back to her that she can sell at a profit.
    Now that is cool!
    40 gal fw: 3 male Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail; a Mystery snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you went for dwarf chains. They are awesome loaches. I have 25 of them and they are entertaining. Once they get used to you, they will greet you all the time. My boys love seeing them zoom back and forth in the aquarium. Be sure your aquarium is mature enough to house them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard they need a mature tank. I just rebuilt last month. Thinking I will wait until September to add the dwarfs and bamboo shrimp. Does that sound like enough time?

Another question about dcl's, though. Do they spend most of their time on the bottom or are they all over? I have plenty of mid-level action. Need something going in down below.

Awards Showcase

One back at you! - steeler58 Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 
    Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 
    to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    They stay lower but they will cruise the mid section. I think September is plenty of time for this tank to settle in.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    They stay lower but they will cruise the mid section. I think September is plenty of time for this tank to settle in.
    +1 on above. I didn't get my loaches til about 6 months after my aquarium was set up. Started with 5, loaches seemed shy, bought 11 more and personalities got a whole lot better, then topped it off with 9 more and it just blossomed from there.

They love to roam the bottom. But when it comes to feeding they come up and snatch most of the food. Some times I need to trick them so the glowlight tetras can get something to eat. I'll try and post a vid sometime when I feed them so you can see.

I do have a colony of RCS and have noticed the loaches keep the population on check so I don't get a mass colony of shrimps.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard they need a mature tank. I just rebuilt last month. Thinking I will wait until September to add the dwarfs and bamboo shrimp. Does that sound like enough time?

Another question about dcl's, though. Do they spend most of their time on the bottom or are they all over? I have plenty of mid-level action. Need something going in down below.
    I added mine after a month and they did just fine.

They stay at the bottom level most of them time, but swim around the middle section as well. If there are plants/driftwood at the top levels of your tank, they will even swim around there. They will go to the top of your tank for feeding. When feeding they will eat food wherever it is.

Mine don't have a main territory, they just roam around wherever they want. They also mess with other fish once in a while, but not aggressively.

Out of everything in my 55 gallon, the fish that go best with these are Empire Gudgeons and Stiphodon gobies.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool. That is what I was hoping. It is going to be a couple months, but I plan in a school of five or ten. Thanks for the info, everybody.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Faded, now dont go mentioning new species!! You are going to get my fish ADD going and I will end up overstocked again! Hahaha

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Faded, now dont go mentioning new species!! You are going to get my fish ADD going and I will end up overstocked again! Hahaha
    Stiphodons are really amazing I must say