· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Canister filter screen help

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I tried running my canister filter without the carbon. When I went to clean it today, my screen was caved in! I can't get it back into place. Luckily I also have an HOB on this tank, but the HOB is only for like 50 gallons I think, and it's a 120 gallon tank. First question: can I fix my canister filter? Second, will my tank be okay for a day or two with low filtration from my HOB?

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Additional information: my tank is stocked with 70ish juvenile Neons, 15 platys and some fry ( ), and some corys (10 maybe). BTW: I have no idea how people with large tanks and a bunch of small fish keep count of how many fish they actually have.

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by saffikeagan View Post
    Additional information: my tank is stocked with 70ish juvenile Neons, 15 platys and some fry ( ), and some corys (10 maybe). BTW: I have no idea how people with large tanks and a bunch of small fish keep count of how many fish they actually have.
    Ahaha, I know right!

Anyway, what make and model is your filter? As long as you have a filter going at the moment your should be good for a few days. If you aren't going to run the canister filter till you get it figured out take out the Bio media and throw it in your fish tank or if you can in your other filter. Just to keep the BB alive. I don't know what kind of filter you have but I'm confident you can fix it. Did you try putting the charcoal back in and using that to push the screen back? If you don't want the carbon then a good thing to do is fill that extra space with more Bio medial.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a marine land Magnum 350. I'll try tomorrow fitting the screen back, but it's plastic and well and truly warped. I've got the BB in a bucket of tank water at the moment. Will put it in the tank. Don't want to loose all that for sure!

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    You might be able to get a replacement screen. A lot of online stores sell replacement parts. With that being said I think you can still fix this. I think. lol My job is in plastics and if it were me I'd heat treat it back into place. Unfortunately if you are not familiar with plastics I don't recommend doing this as you are likely to burn or melt the plastic. Can you give us a picture of what it currently looks like? I might have an idea or two to force it back a little ways.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't seem to get photos to upload from my mac
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Apparently, I'm just too impatient:
    Attachment 33913
    Attachment 33914
    Attachment 33915

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Those attachments don't work for some reason but I can see that one picture in the post above. Holy crap! You weren't kidding that is all sorts of messed up! I feel bad cause I don't know how to fix that.I think I've found what you want though! http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0...d+filter+parts If you are a Prime member that isn't a bad deal. The only thing I could tell you to do is get a Teflon cookie sheet and put this bad boy in the oven at around 200 degrees Fahrenheit. leave it there for a little bit, turn the oven light on and watch it. Get some mits on and see if you can work it back into place. That is probably made out of Polypropylene so it has a high melting point. 200 isn't going to melt it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I just went and bought it. Less trouble, and only $8. Easy peasy. What kind of media do you recommend if I don't want activated carbon in there? I'm a fan of mechanical filtration only.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm, well you could use filter floss sheets and just roll it up and stick it in there, but I'm not sure that'll give enough support to the screen. If you aren't opposed to it I'd get some ceramic rings and fill it up or even lava rocks.