· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Ryan's 5.5 Gallon Betta Rescue Tank Journal

2 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

So as some of you may recall, I've been wanting to start another tank to rescue a Betta fish from the local chain pet store. I want to pick the sickest, discolored one that I can find, the one that no one wants, and nurse it back to health and give it the best life I can. I had initially started out with a 10 gallon tank, but have realized a 5.5 gallon will work perfectly on the small stand I have next to my other tank. I thought I'd start a thread on the tank and get everyone's opinions and advice.

I don't yet have a picture of it, but tonight I poured my fluorite into the tank and filled it up. It's super cloudy right now, as expected, but should I let my filter run and clear it out, or should I just do a couple water changes? Does it matter? Next up is the top issue. I bought a kit, as the store didn't have any just 5.5 gallon tanks. I've got another AC30 I plan on using, but the light/hood it came with is only going to be temporary. I plan on getting a clear glass top, but am lost in terms of lights. Do they make T5 lights/LED lights for tanks this small?

Thanks guys and gals!

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    What a great idea :)

Hope it all goes to plan!
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope so too!

Here's the little tank, the filter is running on full blast to clear up all that fluorite dust, etc.

001.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    I have.always wanted to do something like that but I can only have one tank, I hope all goes well and I would go to walmart or petsmart first there bettas are always terrible looking.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So just out of curiosity, would an internal filter work fine on a tank this size? I am wanting to build my own glass top, but the filter I have now gets in the way, and an internal filter would be so much easier. Any suggestions?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my current plan. Being a nearly broke college student, I'd like to go low-tech with this tank. I plan on purchasing one of these:

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ligh...pfm%3Dcategory

I will set that under my tank and hang one of these from it:

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/heat...pfm%3Dcategory

I've got one sitting around that I used to have for my Bearded Dragon. I'll screw a 6500K bulb into it and that will be that. As for the glass hood, I plan on building one following some directions I read online.

Stay tuned.

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You may want to move it away from the window, to limit algae growth.

An internal would be fine, only needs to be small, Betta don't like a lot of flow or need it anyway. I would have gone with a 10g myself, looking at that one now. But sure enough it will be better off with you :)
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll just shut the blinds. I was going to go with the 10 gallon, but couldn't find a decent spot to put it. I figure this would be better than the cold, tiny, plastic cup sitting on the shelf at WalMart. Or even a small fishbowl in a college dorm lol.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't get a heat lamp it may boil your fish, I would just get a regular flourescent light bulb and make a shade so your not staring at a light bulb.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BonsaiGuy View Post
    I'll just shut the blinds. I was going to go with the 10 gallon, but couldn't find a decent spot to put it. I figure this would be better than the cold, tiny, plastic cup sitting on the shelf at WalMart. Or even a small fishbowl in a college dorm lol.
    True enough :) don't get me wrong, in not the preachy type. Sure he'll be happy!

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video