· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Cool Where am I going wrong

0 Not allowed!
    I got a 120 litre tank, Ive had it since last October, I set it up let it run for a little then I put in some coldwater fish, oranda, goldish, lionhead, etc., well recently they started to die for no apparent reason. So I thought it was because I wasnt doing water changes, etc. So I thought, I would have a go at keeping something else, so I went for dwarf snakeheads. Well to cut a long story short I vacuumed the sand, syphoned the water out, and let the tank run for 2 weeks with nothing in, I bought new filter media (probably a mistake at the time), well I put the juvenile snakeheads in, and they seemed fine for the first 48 hours, but then the morning 2-3 of them were just looking lifeless and being taken around by the current. Well I guessed there must be something up with the water, so I pulled out the remaining 2 good ones and put them in a holding tank, and they seem to be fine. So I stripped the tank right down, washed the tank, substarte, plants, and bogwood, refilled the tank, put in some easy life filter medium, and then rinsed my filter medium with some well established pond water out of the filter. When do you think I should retest the tank, or any idea's what I can do, many thanks in advance.

Steve

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    When you let the tank run for two weeks with nothing in it and then replaced your filter media you lost what bacteria you started to grow with the goldfish and basically started completely over with an uncycled tank.
    Read this

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

and this

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

They will teach you the basics of cycling a tank with and without fish. Also I believe your dwarf snakehead will out grow your tank, even the smallest, channa gachua, will reach 8 inches/20.32cms, and you should either buy a much bigger tank or rehome the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a Channa Gachua Bengal Blue and they only grow to about 7 inches, and I will only be keeping a pair in the tank, its big enough for a pair as its 90cm wide, and 45 high. They are air breathers so like a fair size gap to surface for air.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    Ammonia poisoning is likely your problem - so the fish in your holding tank won't be safe for much longer.

Do you have an ammonia test kit? You need one that tests ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Using the test kit you should be able to complete water changes as needed to keep your fish from dying of ammonia poisoning. Those articles posted above are required reading for folks starting new tanks!
    20gal long planted community

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I tested the water today, there was no ammonia present, thats the first thing I thought, I think Nitrates was also zero, but I werent sure about the Nitrites reading. Ive read so many articles, etc. So how come you see people buy a tank and then put fish in the next day?, When I done it they drop dead. Just my luck.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    Its nothing to do with luck. it happens to almost everyone. Once you are here long enough, you will see a lot of posts like yours.
    Google "why are my fish dying" and you will see tons of people who lose fish the same way.

The ones that are lucky enough to make it work either just keep buying new fish (which answers your question on why most fish stores let people just buy tanks and fish the same day) and eventually their tank cycles; they change their water often; or they just didn't stock their tank with many fish.
    gold fish and the like are very tough also, sometimes they can survive the first few weeks until the filter catches up to the waste demand.

Your readings will be zero if you just completed a water change. A cycled tank generally reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 for nitrates. The fact that you have zero nitrates (unless you have a heavily planted tank) is a symptom of an uncycled tank.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 05-10-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    No, not just your luck. This forum is filled with people who bought a tank and put fish in the next day. Then they come here and ask the same questions you are asking because something is wrong with their new fish, or their fish keep dying.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I didnt do a water change, I just left the tank running after I removed the fish. I thought that maybe rotting food or other rubbish would be in the gravel and cause an ammonia spike, but to my surprise, zero ammonia. Im sure the Nitrites was up though. I have three type bundles of sort grass plants. What baffles me is why my other lot of fish lasted about 6 months then pegged it.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    leaving the tank running without fish - the beneficial bacteria would have eaten all the available food, then started to die off once the food was gone, which probably explains the zero ammonia. You would have had to have left the tank empty for a week-ish tho, to lose your bacteria.

Whatever the cause, the fix for your current problem likely is to keep your ammonia and nitrites to below .5 until you know your tank is cycled.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will retest the whole new setup tomorrow, and get a reading, then I will post on here. So Im wanting Ammonia and Nitrites below 0.5 margin. How do you know when the tank is cycled correctly, when everything is coming back at 0? Or am I being a divvy. How can I help the process?, putting some food in to rot?, try and steal some sponge out of an established filter, and DO NOT clean anything.