· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default API vs SeaChem tests

0 Not allowed!
    I can't stand this any longer and now when I see my friends posting high Nitrates, I highly doubt they are correct. This is based on the high percentage of my fellow forum members using API tests.

I had an API test that will not expire until April 2017, I took a sample to Big ALS for a nitrate test and I used the SeaChem test that I certified as accurate as reference test was included and it is spot on. The 3 samples taken at exact same time and results were:

API (Home 20)
    Big ALS API ( between 10 & 20)
    SeaChem 0.5

Yes, 0.5 and tested today and got about a 1. Even ran the reference test again to verify.
    Andrew (manager) from Big ALS told me strait out, believe the SeaChem results without a doubt. They use the API because of cost and no need for WC at 20 regardless. And if it reads 40, so what? No harm in WC's.

For me it's all about knowing. I want to know exactly what's happening in my Tanks, fresh or salt. The SeaChem Nitrate/Nitrites test can be bought stand alone and takes 7 minutes to process. No bottle shaking or test tubes either.

Just thought I'd share.

BTW. API pH and ammonia test are ok, tested them too. Its the Nitrites and Nitrates that are suspect.
    Last edited by Surfdog; 05-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    I've heard about the difference in accuracy between the API and Seachem's nitrate tests for several years. I bought a Seachem's nitrate test to see for myself about 2 years ago and the tests were the same. So for me anyway, either I did them both wrong or they are both just as accurate/inaccurate.
    Honestly, if you want truly accurate results you should buy a digital meter. Hannah was the brand recommended to me by someone I trust. I still think for hobby level testing, API is fine, so is Seachem's.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I have had very similar experiences as Mommy. I have tried them both and did not see a significant different in the test results. I have tried them in both FW and SW set-ups without significant differences noted.

I have also bought the Hanna digital test equipment and did notice a slight difference, but not a big enough difference for me to want to change anything.

Do you / have you been adding anything to the tank that could effect the test results ? Just a wild guess on my part. The more detailed the test measurement, the higher the risk of something interfering with the .
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Nope Cliff, 3 samples taken at same time. I did one using my API test, Big Als did the 2nd and I also did 3rd using my Seachem kit. 3 different results but the API showing between 10 and 20 and the SeaChem showing almost none. To be honest, I don't understand how you and Mommy1 are getting results similar between the two tests?
    I know I do them properly, have been doing them regularly for years with the odd comparison test done at my Big Als with close results...The Seachem is a lot easier to do as well, no minute and a half of shaking...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    I believe you know what you are doing Surf and that you are doing the tests properly, but I was thinking the same thing as Cliff. There has to be something that some people do to make the tests less accurate or vise versa. It could be anything, pH, temperature, ferts, user mistake, time of day lol. Who knows, there are millions of possibilities.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, mommy explained my though a lot better than I did
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That's because I was thinking the same thing as you. And yeah Surf, I will totally agree with you about the Seachem's test being easier.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Out of curiosity... did you API test the reference sample? (Or is there not enough liquid for that?)

And for me, the add liquid, add powder, and stir is the same amount of work for a test as add drops A, add drops B, and Shake.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    Out of curiosity... did you API test the reference sample? (Or is there not enough liquid for that?)

And for me, the add liquid, add powder, and stir is the same amount of work for a test as add drops A, add drops B, and Shake.
    Sorry trill, to me : Add one drop liquid, add one scoop powder, quick stir and done is a lot easier than Shake, add drops, shake bottle 30 seconds add drops and then shake test tube 1 min.

I had not thought to do the reference on the API and that's a great idea. Will get back with results 😀 when I return from my Moms in Montreal (Mother's Day). Its another feature I like about the Seachem. Reference materials for all the tests in the kit.
    10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Alas, not enough reference liquid to do API comparison test. I will have when I pick up anther nitrate test kit and I will do it then. You have me wondering now, and I don't like that lol. May go get one tomorrow.
    10G Fresh (Beta)