· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    That might be so, but on the other hand, if someone were to tell you that their tank was running perfectly and they were done monitoring their tank and only, say 3 months, had elapsed - I'm thinking you wouldn't be too quick to agree and tell them they were home free.

Agreed that each tank has its own time to mature, but an (arguable) bare minimum exists.
    20gal long planted community

Awards Showcase

and let them not be forgotten! - korith One back at you! - steeler58 Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 
    Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED 
    Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx 

1 Not allowed!
    I think it is also important to note that some fish require different levels of maturity. Most fish just need a good BB count. So for them a newly cycled tank is mature enough for them to live in. Then you have algae eaters. For them to thrive your tank won't be mature until it has a good amount of algae for the fish to feed on. Take this one step further and you have aufwuchs feeders. Aufwuchs is the biofilms and small organisms that live within algae. Some fish considered to be algae eaters are actually just grazing on the little critters living in the algae. aufwuchs is also good for newly hatched fry.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Shea, when I gave my example of taking the current stock out and replacing it I was talking about a tank that had fully matured. I wouldn't consider any newly set up tank fully mature in three months. So yes, I do agree.
    I will use two of my tanks as an example of what I mean.
    I have a 120g that has been set up with its current decor and inhabitants for over two years. I consider this tank fully mature and if I choose to get rid of the fish in that tank, and not take away anything else, I would consider that tank to still be fully mature. Now, if I got rid of the fish and added the same number of similar fish with the same approximate bio-load I wouldn't worry so much about it. If I got rid of the current 3 large fish and and added a large colony of African cichlids, yes I would test parameters daily until I was certain everything was still balanced.
    The other tank is a 29g that has been totally rescaped every year since I got it. I consider this tank mature but not necessarily fully matured. So when I get rid of its current stock later this year I will definitely monitor the parameters closely.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad I popped in to read this thread. Really good stuff to consider! The maturity of a tank seems very dependent on what you plan to add. You don't need a very mature (really just a complete cycle) to add say, guppies, but you need an established mature tank for more delicate species, or those with set requirements like many plecos and such. Same thing with adding a species vs. adding that same species with intent on breeding them. The idea of maturity of the tank seems less important than knowing where your tank is and what it needs and what it can provide for stock.
    2.5g Freshwater
    Anubias, crypt., Java fern
    Giger, blue male crown tail betta

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

Default defining a mature tank

0 Not allowed!
    If someone put me on the spot for a definition of suggest that it was a tank that has had been set up, monitored and maintained as is for a period of time.

Does a mature tank actually have anything to do with bacteria specifically or is it more the environment created by the length of time It has been set up for? In which case what changes? Between the beginning of a cycle and the mature end? Stable parameters, good feeding habits, regular maintenance, fish health? Lots to consider

I would imagine that if the bio load doesn't change, and is optimised with no extra stocking etc, would that be considered mature or just a mature filter? If so how long does a tank take to optimise bacteria for a required stocking level? Isn't that the point of a fishless cycle...to a degree? And if not, what else is more important regarding adding fish to a mature or established tank, algae growth? Plant growth?
    Last edited by FishDan; 05-11-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishDan View Post
    Does a mature tank actually have anything to do with bacteria specifically or is it more the environment created by the length of time It has been set up for?
    It's both. Cycling a tank is only the first stage of a aquarium starting to become mature. Mommy stated it pretty good:

Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Stable water parameters and a cycled filter are the beginnings of a mature tank. A fully mature tank in my opinion is one that has had time to "grow" all the bio-film and micro-organisms that naturally develop in any ecosystem. This can take many months to more than a year to fully develop, the nitrifying bacteria we grow to cycle the tank is just the beginning and there are many other types of bacteria growing around the tank, some good some bad. As Compass stated, there is no set time frame for a tank to be considered fully mature, there are to many factors involved in the process. That being said, you don't have to wait for your tank to be fully mature to add your corys. Stable water parameters, enough room, and compatible tank mates are all that is needed.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

Default defining a mature tank

0 Not allowed!
    I suppose it encompasses anaerobic bacteria too. Yeah it's all good info :) makes sense
    Last edited by FishDan; 05-11-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video