· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

Default Boiling my snail!

0 Not allowed!
    The temperature outside rose from 50 degrees to 100 in just a few days. My aquarium is in my room which is the most temperamental room in the house. It basically stays the same temperature as it is outside. My 12 gallon aquarium is 85 degrees and I want it at 76! 80 would be the absolute highest that would be fine, I've been told. I turned off the aquarium heater. I've already pumped the house full of air conditioning, but my room has barely changed, while the rest of my house is freezing. I also did a water change where I added slightly colder water, but it warmed up in no time. The tank is also not near a window, plus I kept all my curtains closed so there isn't extra sunlight to warm it. I can't move the aquarium either; it has to stay in my room (my parents' orders). What should I do? Currently, there's only a zebra nerite snail in there, but I've grown attached and I don't want him to die.

...also, will my plants be affected? (pearlweed, dwarf tears, anubis nana, swords, dwarf hairgrass, and some unknown pink plant)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Get a small desk fan and point it at the surface of your water so that it blows from one side of the tank to the other. This should help it stay cooler. Other than that there is not much I know to do. Cooling a fish tank is tricky. You might want to tell your parents to look at the duct work in your house. There could be a simple fix for why your room won't cool down like the rest of the house.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    Add an air stone and pump or increase surface agitation to both increase dissolved oxygen levels as well as facilitate heat exchange between tank water and air

Dim the aquarium lights, especially if they are strong plant lights

Avoid sunlight hitting the tank

While not as pronounced as those of fish, plants have temperature preferences as well. For instance, the Madagascar lace plant will slow down above 77 degrees Fahrenheit.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with the surface agitation stuff and the fan is that I have a fluval edge tank so it is filled to the top and completely covered with glass. I'll lower the water a bit and add an air stone, for now. Also, I've left my door open so the air in my house makes my room slightly cooler. Except that I have a cat who I don't want in my room because she can open the lid to my other 55g aquarium. She has no fears and tries to get my fish! So this is also temporary. Need to get that air conditioning fixed! ;)