· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Amanos v DHG

1. Default Amanos v DHG

1 Not allowed!
    So I caught one of my amanos wolfing down a full length blade of my dwarf hairgrass today, I honestly didnt think amanos ate plants like that so I did some additional research, unfortunately I had to google "amanos eating plants" to actually get any data on this. So here's my question: is there a different carpeting plant I could try that the amanos are less likely to eat?

My poor hairgrass has been through real hell these last two weeks between a hair algae outbreak, my mollies tearing several chunks out every day and now my amanos snacking on it, even though its fighting I just don't think its going to remain healthy and continue to carpet with the current population of brats.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmm If I recall you are running a standard tank. It isn't high-tech correct? No CO2 or lights that can put out the sun?

Assuming it isn't high-tech your options are a bit more limited.

Here are a few that I think would work

Cryptocoryne parva - small crypt with broad leaves that carpets but grows slowly.

Dwarf sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata) - Will get a bit tall but is a go to for people wanting that grass look.

Pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus) - Similar to Dwarf Sag but it won't get as tall.

Of the three the Crypt is the shortest but least grass like and need the most light. All will carpet in time, I think the Dwarf Sag will be the fastest. All are root feeders so some good root tabs will help. Don't stick them under the plants but just a little bit out of their reach. This will stimulate root growth and force the plant to grow faster. When planting get a bunch of plants or divide what you have as much as you can. Plant them in a pattern resembling the number 5 on a six sided die face.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Hmmm If I recall you are running a standard tank. It isn't high-tech correct? No CO2 or lights that can put out the sun?

Assuming it isn't high-tech your options are a bit more limited.

Here are a few that I think would work

Cryptocoryne parva - small crypt with broad leaves that carpets but grows slowly.

Dwarf sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata) - Will get a bit tall but is a go to for people wanting that grass look.

Pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus) - Similar to Dwarf Sag but it won't get as tall.

Of the three the Crypt is the shortest but least grass like and need the most light. All will carpet in time, I think the Dwarf Sag will be the fastest. All are root feeders so some good root tabs will help. Don't stick them under the plants but just a little bit out of their reach. This will stimulate root growth and force the plant to grow faster. When planting get a bunch of plants or divide what you have as much as you can. Plant them in a pattern resembling the number 5 on a six sided die face.
    Thanks for the reply.

I am running co2 albeit its a cheap pressurized fluval kit.

I am currently fighting with myself over lighting, I have 2 lighting fixtures over my tank one with a 20watt t8 2700k and one 25watt LED fixture broad spectrum between 7000k and 10000k. I will more than likely buy a bigger more powerful fixture to replace both of these in time, currently my lighting has been more expensive than everything else in my tank combined.

I am using seachem roottabs in the sand bed but I am probably going to rescape if I can't get my DHG back to health and need to find an alternative, so the root tabs will get dug up.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal. I'd stick with the plants I listed. You could probably get away with the some of the trickier carpet plants. Riccia, glossostigmosa, and dwarf baby tears. But those are tough plants to grow right and it won't help much having fish that like to get in and tear stuff up. lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    I have never seen or heard of Amano shrimp eating live plants(usually it turns out to the that they are eating dead spots on leaves that were caused by something else), so while I am sure they are capable of it, maybe they don't usually prefer it for some reason. Considering that your light spectrum isn't the best for plants(best is between 6000 and 7000 k) could it be that the shrimp was eating an already dead or diseased bit of plant?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I have never seen or heard of Amano shrimp eating live plants(usually it turns out to the that they are eating dead spots on leaves that were caused by something else), so while I am sure they are capable of it, maybe they don't usually prefer it for some reason. Considering that your light spectrum isn't the best for plants(best is between 6000 and 7000 k) could it be that the shrimp was eating an already dead or diseased bit of plant?
    Its possible. The mollies have already gnawed on the tips of them, after which they turned brown. I definitely watched one of the shrimp walk through and eat a few more blades. The part that weird is this grass was healthy before, extremely in fact, spreading like wildfire and growing long bright green blades, under the same light too. Well minus the leds. So just the red spectrum 2700k

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, finally wiped out the GHA after all this time, feeding every other day encouraged the aquaria to munch on the nasty stuff for a while, eventually they lost their taste for it and the GHA began to retake the tank, so I blacked it out, 3 days (4 nights) seems to have done the job, nothing but brown dead GHA everywhere, and the best part is, my dwarf hairgrass seems to be extremely healthy now that it isnt covered in gha.

uploadfromtaptalk1401294821543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401294849497.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401294948910.jpg