· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Tank lighting comparisons

0 Not allowed!
    Hey just wondering if anyone has come across any reliable data regarding the comparisons between different lighting systems. IE t8 vs t5 vs t5ho vs led vs MH.

I understand PAR is the most important value but PAR meters are expensive as heck and PAR values on various products and setups are nearly impossible to find for comparative purposes. Lux values are almost as difficult to find.

So how then can I take wattage and kelvin from an LED unit and compare it to similar stats from a T5ho or T8 etc.

Thanks!

1 Not allowed!
    The problem that I have found between those types of comparisons is that they are almost completely useless. The reason for me saying this is that each different type of lighting is not standardized. For example, every manufactor’s T5 fixture will get different results as many factors can make one T5 fixture produce more / better light than other due to features such as the quality of the reflectors used, the size and angle of the reflector, and even the distance between the bulbs and the reflectors . Factors like this make different lighting comparisons too general to be of any help, at least that is my experience.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    The problem that I have found between those types of comparisons is that they are almost completely useless. The reason for me saying this is that each different type of lighting is not standardized. For example, every manufactor’s T5 fixture will get different results as many factors can make one T5 fixture produce more / better light than other due to features such as the quality of the reflectors used, the size and angle of the reflector, and even the distance between the bulbs and the reflectors . Factors like this make different lighting comparisons too general to be of any help, at least that is my experience.
    Okay, so if I wanted to try and find a basis to work off for finding suitable led plant lights I'm probably screwed huh?

0 Not allowed!
    No, you just have to look at each type of lighting individually. For example. look into LEDs or T5 or T8 to see which type you like the best without trying to complete a comparison on the light produced. Then really research the details of the type you like the best to find the exact fixture that will produce the lighting that will be best suited for the set-up you want.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Almost forgot about the below link

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160396

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're awesome thanks cliff, one of those is even a Canadian retailer, so much reading there. There really needs to be an industry standard for PAR ratings.

0 Not allowed!
    There's a lot of Canadian retailers out there that carrier a good selection of lighting

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There's a lot of Canadian retailers out there that carrier a good selection of lighting
    I've always been a buy local kind of guy, I will still buy from a big box store if theres no mom and pop places but I still try to buy within my city to support local retail, unfortunately there is petland, petsmart, and one mom and pop place in my city, petland and petsmart aren't overly serious about their lighting sections and the mom and pop place specializes in salt/reef equipment, they may be able to order stuff in so I will definitely give them a call.