· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default What plant is this?

0 Not allowed!
    Thought it would be worth a shot to see if anyone might know what sort of pond plant this might be.

Can anyone ID this plant, please? I wasn’t even sure which sub-forum to put it in.

Here is a picture of it in the pond where it was growing:

40 gal fw: 3 Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail; a Mystery snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a picture of some that my hubby pulled up:

40 gal fw: 3 Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail; a Mystery snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

0 Not allowed!
    and a closer look:

Thank you for any help, y'all.

2 Not allowed!
    maybe Bacopa monnieri, or a variation of it. Be careful when bringing pond plants into the aquarium. Rinse and clean the plants real well to avoid any other critters getting in.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you korith. That well could be it.

I've already thrown out this sample, but yes, I'd be careful if I added some to my aquarium. (thinking it would perhaps not be worth the risk)

I did rinse it many times, soaked it throughout several days and rinsed it more, daily. But I'll likely go the safer route and just purchase plants.

I'd hate to wake up to discover baby Bass in my aquarium all of a sudden.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Thank you korith. That well could be it.

I've already thrown out this sample, but yes, I'd be careful if I added some to my aquarium. (thinking it would perhaps not be worth the risk)

I did rinse it many times, soaked it throughout several days and rinsed it more, daily. But I'll likely go the safer route and just purchase plants.

I'd hate to wake up to discover baby Bass in my aquarium all of a sudden.
    Hehe, well I was thinking more along the lines of snail eggs, other microflora that might hitchhike in with the plant. You can make a weak water bleach mix in a small container, and dunk the plants in there, then rinse them off. That will more than likely do the trick. I used to do that, but then started using a potassium permanganate solution instead. Snails in the aquarium drive me crazy, so any new plant I get from anyone, gets dipped to kill any snail eggs and other critters.

By the way not positive on the id was just a guess. Problem is the same plant in the wild and those in the aquarium can look a bit different. Fertilizers, lighting, etc... all play a part.

1 Not allowed!
    Look up the Callitriche genus.
    I think it looks similar to C. verna or C. stagnalis.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Look up the Callitriche genus.
    I think it looks similar to C. verna or C. stagnalis.
    Yep you are right, pictures of that look a lot more similar than the monnieri