· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Pressurized co2 in a 6 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I am planning on setting up a 6g nano in one of the Eheim Aquastyle cube kits. I just stating to read up on co2 and have already decided I will probably go with pressurized opposed to DIY. My reasons are simple:

1. Apart from maybe keeping my 2.5g, this will be my only tank (tiny home without a solid foundation) so I want to get as technical as possible with it.
    2. I've never done co2, so I am keen to learn it "right" for my first go at it.
    3. I am lazy.

So while I am trying to find some more good resources to read (which I'd love to get recommendations on good sources of info) I was hoping some of you guys who have co2 experience could help me out with what set-ups you use and estimated cost of initial purchase and upkeep.

I have a box of the mini canisters from a pellet gun (the ones about 4" long) leftover, what's the average lifespan of one of those? Someone was posting about having the co2 turned on in the AM and off at night. Is this standard or just sort of a "whatever works best"? And, how do you know what level co2 you need in the tank?
    2.5g Freshwater
    Anubias, crypt., Java fern
    Giger, blue male crown tail betta

0 Not allowed!
    I only have experience using a 5 lb canister set-up so I can't comment on the equipment. I have my pressurized CO2 on a timer so it comes on 1/2 hour before the lights come on and off 1/2 hour before they go out. I'm not to sure if that is standard or not, but it seams to work for me. No need to add CO2 to the tank when the plants won't be using it.

Four things you don't want to cheap out on is a: regulator, valve, bubble counter, and diffuser. I'm not too sure how much things would cost for you were you live, but I you might want to check out on-line vendors to see.

When you have your CO2 set-up and running, start off at a very very low bubble count and very slowly increase it until you have the concentration you want. The demands of every set-up if different so you will have to find what works for your tank
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-05-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found a great primer on the planted tanks forum that broke down the whole set up, whatever everything was, what it did, how it worked, what you needed, and what was optional.

So for yours to be on a timer you have a solenoid. I will probably go for that as it's easier and will save some money in the long run on wasted co2.

Is co2 something I can add later to a tank once it is up and running?
    2.5g Freshwater

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have a solenoid on a timer.

You can pretty much add CO2 anytime you want. I added mine to a tank that was set-up and running for about 3 years. But keep in mind, once you add it, you will most likely have to adjust your lighting and ferts to try and keep everything balanced.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, ferts I can manage adjusting, but I will have to look up light adjustments. I'm going with a kit my local shop recommended and all the reviews I've seen have been pretty awesome. I actually trust this shop, which feels great. They had many, many display tanks with this kit in the shop, and explained all the different practice set-ups they tried before picking it as their main kit. She may have some good advice on co2 and extra light.
    2.5g Freshwater