· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How do I encourage my male guppy to mate?

0 Not allowed!
    My guppy population has been ailing a bit. I have one male and one female, and I have been trying to get them to breed with some other guppies I bought, but the male will not even pursue the female.

He was born on 9/11/2013 and is the only one of his generation left alive. The other guppies have mediocre genetics, but he has lived a long time. Like his parents, however, I think he has lost his luster because he does not chase the males like the younger males. I want to use his genes to stregthen the population but he will not mate with the female I have provided for him.

Are there any ways to encourage him to breed? I just need one fry who can mate with the future females I have. I have a bunch of fry, but none are his and none are as strong as him. He survived four plagues which killed many fish, and I do not want him to die in vain.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone got any advice to help the old man mate with the females. I got two more females today and he is just as uninterested as usual. Does anyone have any advice?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    What are the water parameters? I'm not real sure what to tell you here since usually all you have to do is add water for guppies to mate. How long has it been since you changed water? Sometimes adding water a degree or two cooler than their tank water will help. How many fish are in the tank and how big is the tank?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure that I've ever heard of anyone having issues with guppies not mating. Adding fresh water a few degrees cooler will encourage them, but usually it is just a matter of having a few girls for him to get the message.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I changed the water on Tuesday when I added some plants along with the guppies. I removed many of the plants for replanting and that gave me the opportunity to clean it a lot better than the usual, and now it is essentially spotless.

The pH is 7.5
    The ammonia is 0 ppm
    The nitrite is 0 ppm
    The nitrate is 15 ppm

The aquarium is 20 gallon with the current stocking:

4 Neon Tetras
    4 Panda Corydoras
    4 Guppies: Adults (1 male, 3 females)
    8 Guppies: Juveniles (5 males, 3 females)

My parents think the idea of quarantining new specimens is "an obsession", and over this past year, I am tired of pets getting sick and dropping dead every time I need to add new fish. The neon tetras are going to die off and I will maintain this tank with only corys and guppies (I breed those with ease) until I get my own house. My tank is diseased and it killed all of my otos and 4 of my cories (they will all likely die unless I can find a med that won't kill my plants... again). The guppies with good genes, and the neons are healthy (minus one with a bend spine).

The female guppies had something where they become very thin after dropping a load of fry, then die. I do not know what is is but only the ones I bought from this one pet store (which in hindsight was genetic suicide for my population to keep buying more of them). This male is a hybrid from two stores, and has never got sick as far as I can tell. I think he is just old. I meant 2012 not 2013, so he is an old man now. He swims with the females, but new actually mates with them from what I can tell.

The fry I have all going to go with the exception of two female and two males with one of each from a feeder and fancy female I had bought a few months ago. That will bring me to 3 males (two able males) and 5 females (four able females, one from the pet store I mentioned looks like she is about to die).