Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Default Cichlid for my tank?


    0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, this is a bit of a general cichlid question and I didnt see a category that would fit in. Also I'm still kinda new here so go easy on me ;)

    Ive always thought cichlids were v cool looking fish with an interesting personality, and I'm thinking about adding one but I (like most people) have constraints to work with.

    Everywhere I look gives vastly differing requirements for tank size on cichlids so I'll give you those.

    30 gallon with

    anubias nana
    Amazon sword
    dwarf hairgrass

    4 oto cats
    3 amano shrimp
    2 mollies

    My ph is at 7.6 and I'm using driftwood to lower it (its down from the 7.8 from the tap over 2 months)

    And I maintain 76f for my temp.

    Are there any cichlids I could potentially add? If not then what's not up to par, I'll considering changing it.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    The reason you are finding by variable care requirements for cichlids is because they are a very diverse group of fish that is impossible to generalize.

    Some like dwarf cichlids like soft, acidic water while others like african cichlids and Central Americans prefer their water alkaline. Some cichlids like australoheros and gymnogeophagus take temperatures down to 15 degrees Celsius or lower, while others like discus need Steamy 30 degrees to thrive.
    Some, like the Uaru are predominantly herbivores, most are omnivorous to a degree and some, like pike cichlids and peacock bass, are carnivorous.
    Cichlids range in size from the barely 1 inch adult female neolamprologus multifasciatus to 2 or 3 ft long umbies, peacock bass, boulengerochromis and doviis.
    All are territorial to a degree, but that can range from rather mild mannered like rams, to insanely agressive like some african cichlid species.

    In terms of tank size and other tankmates, a species of dwarf cichlid would be the closest fit for your tank. Most dwarf cichlids don't exceed 4 inches total length and are quite mild and can coexist with most other noncichlids in a tank. There may be issues with the mollies though, as both can be aggressive on occasion. Your pH also is high for dwarf cichlids as a whole. However, there are some species which take alkaline water better than others, such as common Kribs, anomalochromis thomasi, bolivian rams, captive raised apisto cacatuoides.

    Overall dwarf cichlids are quite shy and sensitive in comparison to other aquarium fish, so you will have to pay attention they get enough good food(esp. With mollies around), make sure your water quality is always good and ensure lots of cover.

  3. #3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Some bolivian rams would be cool
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    The reason you are finding by variable care requirements for cichlids is because they are a very diverse group of fish that is impossible to generalize.

    Some like dwarf cichlids like soft, acidic water while others like african cichlids and Central Americans prefer their water alkaline. Some cichlids like australoheros and gymnogeophagus take temperatures down to 15 degrees Celsius or lower, while others like discus need Steamy 30 degrees to thrive.
    Some, like the Uaru are predominantly herbivores, most are omnivorous to a degree and some, like pike cichlids and peacock bass, are carnivorous.
    Cichlids range in size from the barely 1 inch adult female neolamprologus multifasciatus to 2 or 3 ft long umbies, peacock bass, boulengerochromis and doviis.
    All are territorial to a degree, but that can range from rather mild mannered like rams, to insanely agressive like some african cichlid species.

    In terms of tank size and other tankmates, a species of dwarf cichlid would be the closest fit for your tank. Most dwarf cichlids don't exceed 4 inches total length and are quite mild and can coexist with most other noncichlids in a tank. There may be issues with the mollies though, as both can be aggressive on occasion. Your pH also is high for dwarf cichlids as a whole. However, there are some species which take alkaline water better than others, such as common Kribs, anomalochromis thomasi, bolivian rams, captive raised apisto cacatuoides.

    Overall dwarf cichlids are quite shy and sensitive in comparison to other aquarium fish, so you will have to pay attention they get enough good food(esp. With mollies around), make sure your water quality is always good and ensure lots of cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    Some bolivian rams would be cool
    Alright cool beans, I will start researching, I feed my mollies a medium sized pellet diet, it takes them a long time to work through each pellet possibly due to how hard the pellets are. It should* be fairly easy for another fish to swim up and scoop one while the mollies are busy bearing down on the one they've got.

    My mollies are generally too busy with one another to worry about the shrimp or otos, the males usually too busy chasing the female and the female is usually running from the male. Not sure if they will change habits with a new tank mate or not.

  5. #5

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    I have found it was always best to keep 3 females for each male molly in your tank. That way, the "harrassing" will be spread out enough across the three females as to not stress out any one of them.

    You might want to consider this in your stocking plans
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have found it was always best to keep 3 females for each male molly in your tank. That way, the "harrassing" will be spread out enough across the three females as to not stress out any one of them.

    You might want to consider this in your stocking plans
    That is a good idea, my female is considerably larger than the male so from time to time she seems to put her foot down and the male wanders off for a while, ive never considered the possibility that it could still be stressing her out. Maybe I will focus on that first. See how the tank is after a while of having 2 extra mollies in it.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    9,928

    Awards Showcase

    poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda52 View Post
    That is a good idea, my female is considerably larger than the male so from time to time she seems to put her foot down and the male wanders off for a while, ive never considered the possibility that it could still be stressing her out. Maybe I will focus on that first. See how the tank is after a while of having 2 extra mollies in it.
    Perfect plan of action....gives you time to do some real in depth cichlid studying
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

  8. #8

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Good info from mada, again.

    I completely agree that you should go dwarf cichlid. Rams & Apistos would be a great fit. They'll appreciate any cover you can give them - plants, caves, rocks, etc.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

    When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

    Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

  9. Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Good info from mada, again.

    I completely agree that you should go dwarf cichlid. Rams & Apistos would be a great fit. They'll appreciate any cover you can give them - plants, caves, rocks, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Perfect plan of action....gives you time to do some real in depth cichlid studying
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have found it was always best to keep 3 females for each male molly in your tank. That way, the "harrassing" will be spread out enough across the three females as to not stress out any one of them.

    You might want to consider this in your stocking plans
    Thanks again guys. I'm gonna hit the books on the cichlids!

  10. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have found it was always best to keep 3 females for each male molly in your tank. That way, the "harrassing" will be spread out enough across the three females as to not stress out any one of them.

    You might want to consider this in your stocking plans
    Quick question, when it comes to their "mating habits" are all mollies part of the same family(genus)?

    The two I currently I have are black and white, but if I put say a female dalmation in their will the white male chase her too or will he only chase white and black mollies?

    Only reason I ask is because I know that some fish even though their are the same species are different subspecies and may not be interested in breeding (I'm more concern with taking stress off the female)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •