Aquarium Forum

  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

        Via paypal

  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Equipment for European voltage?

    0 Not allowed!
    My family and I are hopefully moving to Israel this coming summer.

    I was originally planning to sell my tank/supplies until my husband said I should consider moving everything and setting up the tank there (nice guy huh? LOL).

    I realize that my current equipment won't work over there because their voltage is different so I would need a filter/heater, etc with the round two prongs - 220?

    Any advice about what I could get or should I just google this and see what brands are out there?

  2. #2


    1 Not allowed!
    I'm not too good with overseas electrical, so I will leave that for others to comment on

    I would suggest to look into the cost of shipping the tank. As overseas shipping fees are based mostly on the cube size of the shipment (and weight as well), it might be cheaper to sell your tanks here and buy new ones there
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL=""]

  3. #3


    1 Not allowed!
    Some of your electronics may work you'll have to look up each item to be sure. Most likely you will need something called a step down transformer and voltage regulator. That will let you use your electronic gizmos from north america at 220v. When my brother went to australia, he had to get something like that in order for xbox and other gizmos to work. Probably cheaper to sell the stuff you have here and buy it there. Since you will probably have to pay to ship or carry the stuff there as well. Probably just worthwhile to keep your supplies instead and take those.

  4. #4


    0 Not allowed!
    I moved here from switzerland some years ago. We got transformers for our household appliances that we brought with and that worked fine.

  5. #5


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post

    I realize that my current equipment won't work over there because their voltage is different so I would need a filter/heater, etc with the round two prongs - 220?

    Any advice about what I could get or should I just google this and see what brands are out there?
    Examine your equipment carefully. A lot of electrical stuff these days can take 100-240 volts anyway in which case you'd need a plug converter only. Those are cheap on amazon.
    Transformers are likely to be more expensive than just buying new stuff.

    Tetra and Sera are big brands on the European market but you can also get eheim/jager for heaters and possibly even fluval. As to filters, eheim and JBL for externals but also tetra. Superfish and hydor maybe they're not in all countries.
    Biggest difference is likely to be that in Europe hang on back filtres are pretty rare and hard to come by

  6. Default

    0 Not allowed!
    Juwel tanks are available it this area of the World as well? I think most equipment purchased in the US will work in Europe with a just converter plug. It's really not worth investing in transformers and\or voltage converters.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Seattle Side of the Mountains

    Awards Showcase

    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass Happy Holidays. - gadget228 


    0 Not allowed!
    Is this a permanent move or a temporary (even a few years temp) move?

    If you need a comparison list with links to outlet types by country try this one:

    If its a permanent move, you probably will be better served by rebuilding your aquatic supplies. Adaptors a fine for travel trips, but are generally not intended for extended long term use.

  8. Default

    0 Not allowed!
    Amazing that we step most everything down to 120/240. It just makes energy loses so much higher.

  9. #9


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi - I am resurrecting this post because I've learned a lot since May!

    I think my Fluval has just died so might need to get a new one anyway - can I just go onto Amazon and order an Eheim or another brand as recommended above - do they function up to 240V?

    We just got many appliances at 220V along with adapter plugs for the Israeli outlets.

  10. #10


    0 Not allowed!
    Fairly sure eheim doesn't use universal power supplies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts