· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question What are my goldfish doing?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I noticed the juvenile common goldfish are picking at my larger comet in the tank. It appears as though they are feeding on his body slime, but I honestly have no idea what to think of this. I never seen this before with goldfish. Especially when they are most docile. Any thoughts anyone? Should I remove them?

0 Not allowed!
    What area of the large goldfish are the little fish picking on? What sizes of fish are we talking about? Did it start suddenly or gradually? Does the large fish seem to be taking real damage?
    Do any of the fish have raised ich like pimples on forehead and pectoral fins?
    From this limited information given, My hypothesis is that your goldfish sense the coming of spring and may be in spawning mood.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    goldfish.jpgThese particular goldfish in question are new residents to my tank. They all (large one and small ones) came to me two days ago. They all lived in a 55 gallon with about two hundred other "feeder fish" and a cichlid of some sort (don't know what kind), and two oscars. All the little feeders have torn fins and tails from the cichlid. The larger one has a little tear in his tail. Anyway, the little guys are picking at the side of his body between his caudal and pectoral fins. Every once in a while one will bite his tail. I don't know if they always done this, or just started because of a new tank. The larger one dwarfs the little guys. The little ones, as you may have already guessed, were feeders from a petco (I am told, and they look it). It doesn't look like there's any damage to him. I don't see any ich like pimples on them. Are the little ones old enough to breed?
    Last edited by Aquawoman; 04-29-2014 at 03:06 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    They may feel liberated from the hellhole they came from. Whatever its cause, I would suppress this behavior until all fish have made progress healing and recovering though.
    In the meanwhile, maybe check videos of goldfish spawning behavior on YouTube and see how well it matches?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just know their previous tank is on its way to crashing with all the fish that person has in it.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm kind of mind boggled as to why a cichlid would be in the same tank as gold/feeder fish...
    "I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?" -John Lennon

"Know that on the night of the Gala Event I shall raise my glass and whisper, 'Fortunato'". -Frederick Sinclair

gallery