· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need "centerpiece" ideas for unstocked 75 gallon tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there, I'm newbie to the forums!

I got back into the hobby about six months ago and have had a single tank set up for that duration housing only a common pleco about 8-10 inches long. I'm not sure which direction I want to go, but I'm mainly looking for centerpiece fish, but will entertain all ideas.

In the past I've liked and had success with Angel fish, tiger Oscars, gouramis, pink convict and puffers when I had a brackish tank. Do not like Rams or albino fish, I love color.

Im looking for a centerpiece in the 8-12 inch range. I prefer more intelligent fish, the tiger Oscar was right up my alley but I'm wanting to go a bit more exotic this time, possibly a Flowerhorn. So here I'm just hoping to have a lot of potential fits thrown at me. I consider myself an intermediate fish keeper and am not too familiar with a wide variety but I assure you I take very well care of my tanks and fish and can handle broadening my horizons.

My set up is:
    75 gallon bow front
    40-60 HOB aqueon filter
    125 gallon hydro pro V sponge filter
    White sand substrate
    large river rocks
    Large cave, pleco's domain
    Floating plants
    Single piece of verticle drift wood(have more if I need to break line of sight)
    Housing a single common pleco, about 8-10 inches.

All advice is appreciated and thank you very much, muah!

0 Not allowed!
    What about a peters elephant nose.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaBoo View Post
    Hey there, I'm newbie to the forums!

I got back into the hobby about six months ago and have had a single tank set up for that duration housing only a common pleco about 8-10 inches long. I'm not sure which direction I want to go, but I'm mainly looking for centerpiece fish, but will entertain all ideas.

In the past I've liked and had success with Angel fish, tiger Oscars, gouramis, pink convict and puffers when I had a brackish tank. Do not like Rams or albino fish, I love color.

Im looking for a centerpiece in the 8-12 inch range. I prefer more intelligent fish, the tiger Oscar was right up my alley but I'm wanting to go a bit more exotic this time, possibly a Flowerhorn. So here I'm just hoping to have a lot of potential fits thrown at me. I consider myself an intermediate fish keeper and am not too familiar with a wide variety but I assure you I take very well care of my tanks and fish and can handle broadening my horizons.

My set up is:
    75 gallon bow front
    40-60 HOB aqueon filter
    125 gallon hydro pro V sponge filter
    White sand substrate
    large river rocks
    Large cave, pleco's domain
    Floating plants
    Single piece of verticle drift wood(have more if I need to break line of sight)
    Housing a single common pleco, about 8-10 inches.

All advice is appreciated and thank you very much, muah!
    Is it really possible to adequately filter a 75 gallon with a HOB and a sponge filter? Especially if one expects to keep large dirty fish in the tank.

I think maybe a larger canister filter added would be wise? No? I mean, I don't know, I've never kept large fish before.

0 Not allowed!
    I also would recommend more mechanical filtration if you want to go with a large cichlid. I believe that pleco will even grow out of a 75... But that will need confirmed

There are many types of South American cichlid species out there, I'd recommend just one though for a large one in a 75

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    How about a pair of Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, 2 BN and a school of dithers.?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    What about a peters elephant nose.

Very interesting fish, I will be looking into this a bit more. Odd lil fellow

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tank View Post
    Is it really possible to adequately filter a 75 gallon with a HOB and a sponge filter? Especially if one expects to keep large dirty fish in the tank.

I think maybe a larger canister filter added would be wise? No? I mean, I don't know, I've never kept large fish before.
    Well technically a canister filter would be ideal, but I don't necessarily think its a must. I also have an in-box 50-70 penguin bio wheel I can ad if need be.

With my current setup I should be.fine as long as I don't over feed, keep up with the water changes and keep a watchful eye on the parameters.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bump bump bump :b