· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Compatibility and Stocking for 60 gal reef tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone ! I'm quite new here, and I apologize for not introducing myself properly, but i have a few questions that I have been going over. I'm setting up a 60 gallon saltwater reef tank with the following equipment, and i need to know if my stats/parem's are ok for the fish/inverts i have chosen. Equipment: 2 Bulb Aquatic life T5 HO light, Hydor Slim protein skimmer (65 gal), Aquaclear 50, Aquaclear 30,HOB 5 gal refugium (12.5'' L)Hydor 425 pump, Hydor 600 pump, Eheim Jager trutemp 150 watt heater, small alcohal thermometer, huge disc bubbler stone. + Hydrometer, water siphon, other basics etc.. Also, I'm moderately experienced with SW, but I know enough from research to be confident in starting a tank of this size. I have a 20 gal FOWLR at the moment. Water Parems would be : 1.022-23, 76*F, 60 pounds Live sand 2'', PH 8.2-3, moderately hard water, filtered with added minerals/trace elements. Here's the stocking list, let me know what you think I should introduce first-last and what I should avoid. I've done research, but I want to hear some more opinions.. Inverts/coral: bubble Anen, lavender mushroom, green striped mushroom, pipe organ, green polyp leather, lemon tree, candy cane coral, trumpet, birds nest, green toadstool mushroom leather, rusty gorgonian sea fan, coulastrea candy cane, german blue polyp, green torch coral, tube coral, duncanop sammia coral, Australian big polyp, Hyacinthus Acropora coral. Fish: Falco Hawkfish, 3 green chromis, Pearly Jawfish, Flame Angel (if not aggressive), Ocellaris clown, Firefish, and maybe one or two other medium sized fish.. Any thoughts, Or questions ? Let me know.. Thanks (=
    Last edited by AquariGod; 04-28-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    My reef tank was fairly low tech, so I won't speak to the equipment you have (tho I wonder why you need a bubbler disc?) but I did want to mention that for reef, 1.023 is a touch lower than folks generally keep corals in. I kept mine at 1.025 (mostly cuz it was easiest to see in my refractometer) and 1.026 is common as well.
    Are you going to use any live rock in this tank? I;m a fan of using LR for filtering, and an HOB only for chemical media. I personally don't believe that live sand - unless scooped and transferred directly from an established tank - is much good for cycling.
    Also, for keeping corals, you might want to get a TDS meter - with the amount of light you'll be needing to keep corals, you might have an algae problem you won't have encountered before, and knowing the TDS of your water might be handy if you end up having to go RO/DI.
    Also, you might want to get a refractometer rather than using a hydrometer. It was one of the best peices of equipment I ever bought as far as getting use out of it. Much more dependable than a hydrometer and you'll find corals less forgiving than FO of wandering params.

Good luck and enjoy setting up your new tank!
    Last edited by sheamurai; 04-28-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    20gal long planted community

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   To help you sleep... - Rue   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   My turn to buy - fishmommie   Right back at'cha! - KevinVA   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Surfdog   Autism - Surfdog   

0 Not allowed!
    Like Sheamurai my reef is no tec. Just live rock and a small rotating water discharge. Flows into the bays that are full of rock scraps and discharges with no sponges / mechanical filters. Lots of rock in the tank. Lots of softies, Seahorses and a Mandarin. 4 - 5 inch sand bed and water changes every 3 weeks (shooting for 4). Add a scoop of tropic Marine and cap of phytoplankton weekly and tank is thriving. I keep mine it at 1.028 - 1.030 range salinity. Best of luck...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid (John Wayne)
    If you're not angry, you are not paying attention (Ralph Nader)
    9 Tanks (2-29G QT) ranging from 150G to 10G for my 1/2 moon Beta
    https://youtu.be/avRN9X77jD4

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ! I am going to be using plenty of live rock, About 55 pounds, and I plan to have a varied CUC as well. I'll keep the TDS in mind, and i've definitely been looking at a Refractometer, too.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Would you say i have too many corals ? I think I can manage them if I add them slowly, and get the tank well established, but i could be wrong.. Also, Have any Medium size fish ( around the adult size of a flame angel ) to recommend considering behavior, compatibility etc ? I have a mix of smaller, more nano sized, just looking for 1-3 big ones to spark it up a bit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   To help you sleep... - Rue   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   My turn to buy - fishmommie   Right back at'cha! - KevinVA   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Surfdog   Autism - Surfdog   

0 Not allowed!
    I use snails, small hermits and bristle worms for CUC, they keep the tank spotless. I did my additions very slowly. Bit by bit. I waited 6 months before adding my mandarin to ensure a good copepod population for him to dine on. He still hunts but the little bugger has taken to eating the Seahorses mysis. Can't recommend fish, I keep morays in separate FOWLR tank, more knowledgable folks here can tell you what's reef safe.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid (John Wayne)
    If you're not angry, you are not paying attention (Ralph Nader)
    9 Tanks (2-29G QT) ranging from 150G to 10G for my 1/2 moon Beta
    https://youtu.be/avRN9X77jD4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    How many corals you can have pretty much depends on spacing - I don't know all the species of coral that you want to keep, so I don't know if they will all work together, but generally you can stock as much coral as you want so long as you don't have any stingers. They need to be spaced out enough so they don't engage in too much chemical warfare. this was the only reason I ran carbon in my HOB - to try and soften any chemical warfare that might have been happening (or might not) between corals.
    If all goes well, tho, you will have to frag, which some consider fun, and some consider a bit of a chore.

If you add and acclimate corals to your tank the same way you do with fish, you shouldn't have any problems, aside from what I mentioned above.
    20gal long planted community

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, good ! I'm positive I have enough room, and I know most of them will work, its just depends if my green torch decides to get pissy or not. If anything does happen, ill have plenty of carbon to combat it with. The rest are peaceful given adequet space, and a nice climate. I sure I sound like a noob, but why would I have to frag exactly ? Oh, and for the CUC , with Turbo snails its one per 10 gallons right ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I really don’t like using “rules of thumb” for a CUC. The type and number of: snails, crabs,… or whatever you add should really depend on what type and amount of stuff you have to clean up. For example, I have about 18 asteria snails, and two hermit crabs in my 180 gallon reef. Almost no algae to be found anywhere and I have heavy stock of fish for a reef tank.

As for your capability question, you could run into many problems with the current plan. I would suggest you take a completely different approach here. I would suggest to first decide which type of coral that interests you the most (SPS, LPS, or softies) and then work backwards from there. And by that I mean, decide upon the type of corals would be the most dominate in your set-up, then plan the equipment needed to keep the water parameters suited for those corals, followed by deciding the fish, inverts & CUC you would want and would suit those corals. With that info, I can give you some ideas. As SPS and many LPS are more demanding than fish so it would be best to start there. Once you have that plan set, you can start setting it up, cycle the tank, then start adding your critters/fish/corals as the parameters stabilize.

But I can tell you that if you want SPS, then you are going to want to rethink your complete set-up as well as the CUC. As your plan sits right now, you would have trouble keeping SPS long term.

Some of the below links should also help

http://www.reefaquarium.com/category/reef/corals/
    http://www.reefaquarium.com/category/chemistry/
    http://www.reefaquarium.com/category...p-an-aquarium/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff, I appreciate the feedback. I would be taking this very slow, starting with the dominant corals as you said, then once i a have a more established tank/ecosystem , ill add the more difficult ones, since i decided to keep 2 easy SPS and a small amount of LPS (5), With the majority being softies (11)..