· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fillers under raised areas

0 Not allowed!
    Another quick question.

I am planning on rescaping my 55 this summer, with a small (6-8") stone wall holding up a largish elevated area. I don't really want to put gravel/soil eight inches deep, so I want to put something underneath to fill the space under the gravel.

I have read of people using epoxy-coated styrofoam glued to the bottom with silicone for this sort of thing. Any other ideas? what have you tried?

Thanks!
    Tom
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did this for a while in my 46 gallon planted tank. It looks awesome and adds a really nice impression of depth. I just put down a layer of large river stones to avoid using so much substrate. I even left some of the tops of the stones peek through the sand and that added a lot of nice accent to the display.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I want to avoid creating "dead zones" where things might get too anaerobic, since I use soil under my gravel. On the other hand, the raised area will be heavily planted with strong-rooted plants, so perhaps it will be OK. River stones, or better yet flat shale, might fill the space nicely...thanks for the idea.

T

www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen where some fancy aquascapers will take big mesh media bags and fill them with large pebbles and then build on top of that.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This guy just uses large rocks as his filler material for creating cliff like escarpments in this one, the nice thing about his method is its very easy to maintain those sharp edges and steep drop offs, soil sand and gravel will always settle and lose any jaggedness you wanted.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...ky-cliff.3472/

0 Not allowed!
    Might wanna see about getting some egg crate if this is a fresh start in a new tank. But yeah, bigger pebble sis the easiest way of handling this.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Egg crate? Can you elaborate on that, my vertically-enhanced Netherlandese friend?

www.whistlingbadger.com

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda52 View Post
    This guy just uses large rocks as his filler material for creating cliff like escarpments in this one, the nice thing about his method is its very easy to maintain those sharp edges and steep drop offs, soil sand and gravel will always settle and lose any jaggedness you wanted.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...ky-cliff.3472/
    Wow, that is lovely! I really like the "mountain" effect. I would be afraid to do that with my 55--it would take some HUGE rocks to reach almost to the surface like that, and I would worry that the bottom of the tank would crack under the weight.

I am going for a stone wall, something that looks man-made but ancient, like an old, flooded ruin. Something like that. This has me thinking I might make it taller, though...Thanks for sharing!

www.whistlingbadger.com

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Wow, that is lovely! I really like the "mountain" effect. I would be afraid to do that with my 55--it would take some HUGE rocks to reach almost to the surface like that, and I would worry that the bottom of the tank would crack under the weight.

I am going for a stone wall, something that looks man-made but ancient, like an old, flooded ruin. Something like that. This has me thinking I might make it taller, though...Thanks for sharing!
    Hm. Could do a superficial stone wall and have something more structurally sound holding back the elevated area, a rigid type of mesh with blocky stones placed in front of it to hide the mesh. This will help you avoid breaking out the brick and mortar haha :P.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was actually thinking of using flat, blocky chunks of shale, fist sized or smaller, arranging them in a way that is structurally stable, then epoxying them together just to be extra safe. That way I can integrate caves and crevices to eventually make some kuhlis and two-spot catfish happy.

So, not quite brick and mortar, but close. ha ha ha

www.whistlingbadger.com