· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 55 Gallon Fish Stocking Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, this is a fish stocking journal. I'm not sure if this has been done, but this journal is dedicated only to the adding of fish in my 55 gallon tank since I will have an above average amount of fish.

Current tank:
    image.jpg

48" by 12"
    Eheim 350 Canister Filter
    Flora-Glo T8 lights
    x1 Pearl Gourami
    x9 Madagascan Rainbowfish
    x1 l201 Pleco
    x4 Amano Shrimp

I added the Pearl Gourami, l201, and the Madagascans today and they adapted to the new environment rather fast. They had been in the Quarantine tank for 3 weeks while I cycled this, so it is currently going rather good. Madagascan Rainbowfish are showing good color, and exhibiting normal behavior, Pearl Gourami is doing good, and the l201 is enjoying the Driftwood and caves I put for the bottom dwellers. So far I haven't seen the l201 attack any Amano shrimp, and I'm hoping it will continue this way.

Final Stocking Plan:
    x1 Pearl Gourami
    x9 Madagascan Rainbowfish
    x4-6 Boesemani Rainbowfish
    x8 Amano Shrimp
    x8-10 Dwarf Chain Loaches
    x2 Farlowella
    x2 Empire Gudgeon
    x1 l201 pleco
    x1 l183 pleco
    x3 Hillstream Loach(Not completely sure about this fish.)

Now, this is definitely overstocking, and that is exactly why I made a journal for this tank, because it's not a short and easy process, and I doubt many people recommend this. I'm not too worried about bioload because the canister filter I have is up to 93 gallons, and I am going to add a hang on filter as well soon.

I have done all I can to provide bottom-dwelling fish hiding spots and territory to avoid disputes; I'm mainly worried about when I add my l183 to the tank. In the past, my l201 was getting along very well with a standard bristlenose pleco, but my l183 is currently not even half the size of the l201. It is being raised in a 10 gallon tank until it needs to be moved.

Anyways, tomorrow I will go to a few LFS searching for these fish. What I care about adding the most currently are the Dwarf Chains and Farlowella, but if I can purchase anything else on my list I most likely will, but not the hillstream loaches. I know they like a current, which the tank does have because of the pump, but I'm thinking that the best idea is to get a powerhead to be safe if I am to buy any.
    Last edited by Faded; 04-27-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Awards Showcase

Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, you really need a powerhead running all the time for the hillstreams. I know some of the other fish you have will like it too. Not sure how much current it will cause for the top part of the tank though. This could really upset your gourami. What temp are you keeping this tank? Hillstreams are certainly in the low end of temperature and will not do so well in a tank that's 75 or higher.

I'm also wondering if a gourami and a bunch of rainbows are going to work together. Gouramis like things calm and rainbows are anything but calm.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus 
    Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Good looking tank btw.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Yes, you really need a powerhead running all the time for the hillstreams. I know some of the other fish you have will like it too. Not sure how much current it will cause for the top part of the tank though. This could really upset your gourami. What temp are you keeping this tank? Hillstreams are certainly in the low end of temperature and will not do so well in a tank that's 75 or higher.

I'm also wondering if a gourami and a bunch of rainbows are going to work together. Gouramis like things calm and rainbows are anything but calm.
    Thank you a bunch for the input!
    My Gourami has lived with the Rainbowfish for over a year now, so it actually likes having them around. With the gourami being top dwelling and the Rainbowfish being middle dwelling most of the time, there hasn't been any problems.

The temperature will have to be 78 or 79 in my tank, so the Hillstreams aren't looking like a good idea. I would still really like to keep these, but I don't want them to die. My substitute for these was this species http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...atropurpureus/
    I had seen them at a LFS and heard good about them. The water conditions of my tank should go well with their requirements, and they look like a very interesting fish.

Any thoughts?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That could very well work. I'm not familiar with this species so I can only tell you what I've read. You want to make sure you get the right kind. Apparently there are a few brackish water gobies that look very similar. I'm not sure how you will identify them but just know there is a chance you might not be getting what you want. With that said it looks like they'd do ok.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I did find the correct kind as well as 4 Dwarf chains from the best LFS available. The Dwarf Chains had been in the tank for 4 months so far, looked very healthy, and the 2 Gobies have been in their tank for a week, very healthy as well. The store had their temperature at 79 I was told and that's my tank's temperature. I'm soon probably going to lower to 78.

Currently acclimating them; don't want to take any risks.

I'm hoping that the Dwarf Chains will be ok with the Amano shrimp, I will see within the next few days how it goes.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Update: Everything adapted very fast to the new tank, and the only thing questionable was the Gobys not having ANYTHING to do with the Dwarf Chain loaches. Every time one came near, they instantly ran away. Once the Gobys find a good area I doubt this will be a problem, but I will add some more territory options if this becomes an issue, as I have extra plants and the option to put more smaller smooth rocks in a certain area.

Pictures of fish:
    image.jpg
    Dwarf Chain Loaches
    image.jpg
    Gobies

Will update on fish tomorrow.

Awards Showcase

Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus 
    This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Nice additions. Thanks foor the pics.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input!

Update:
    The gobies are starting to tolerate the dwarf chain loaches, and I have seen every fish other than one dwarf chain, but I'm pretty sure it is hiding like the other one I had trouble spotting was.
    The gobies are starting to get their blue color back again(which looks awesome) and seem to like the top of rocks and driftwood, which luckily there is plenty. The dwarf chains have swam around Madagascan Rainbowfish nearly 10 times their size, but the Madagascans luckily don't mind them. Will include pictures soon after I feed the fish.

Edit: Also, to those wondering why the Madagascans were at the top in the original post, I had to take a picture while they were sleeping when I made this thread. They stay where any regular Rainbowfish would if anyone is worrying
    Last edited by Faded; 04-28-2014 at 09:59 PM.