· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GBR sick?

1. Default GBR sick?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,
    I have noticed my female GBR showing some weird behaviour over the last couple of days.

I have done a water test and here are the results:

Ammonia:0.00
    Nitrite:0.00
    Nitrate:80-160
    PH:<6

I know my nitrate is too high and I will be correcting that with water changes today, just want to know if the nitrate is the possible cause of the GBR's behaviour.

P.S my nitrate reading is usually around 20 before a water change, however I found a dead snail around the back of the tank when investigating the GBR's behaviour (can see in video) so I am guessing the increased nitrate level is due to that.

Thanks
    Last edited by Aiden123; 04-26-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The nitrate certainly isn't helping. I suggest a huge water change, or two large ones back to back and then see how she acts. It almost looks like mating behavior but the male wants none of it. I see him at the top at one point in the video but he goes away, or maybe they aren't a true pair. Changing some water might make him change his mind.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    The nitrate certainly isn't helping. I suggest a huge water change, or two large ones back to back and then see how she acts. It almost looks like mating behavior but the male wants none of it. I see him at the top at one point in the video but he goes away, or maybe they aren't a true pair. Changing some water might make him change his mind.
    Thanks for your suggestion
    They are a pair and have spawned several times in the last few months.
    Since I use remineralised R/O and me not filling up my R/O tank this week (my bad), I have to delay the water change for an hour or two while the tank fills up. I'll be able to do one big water change (50%) today and then same tomorrow.
    I shall be buying another R/O water container to have more stored so hopefully this delayed water change issue won't be a problem in the future.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. those nitrates, IMO, are the cause of your ram's problem. Good thing you are getting on top of it it. Rams are super sensative to poor water quality. best bet would be as suggested and bring the trates down asap to less than 10PPM
    Good luck. i hope you don't lose her. The rapid breathing, IME, cannot be a good sign.
    How unfortunate the snail's death fouled your tank.
    Again - good job finding and getting on top of this
    Last edited by fishmommie; 04-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the &quot;good old days&quot; of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Read you journal and you keep your tank in good.shape. with a water change and sense you removed the dead snail. I hope it gets better. Encouragement is good for us all.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    those nitrates, IMO, are the cause of your ram's problem
    Well, of course the nitrates that high are a problem. I never meant to imply different.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your encouragement everyone, I really hope she gets through this.

If I only used remineralised R/O for the change I won't be able to do the required amount until tomorrow so I am thinking about cutting my tap water with R/O water and then remineralising to make up the difference in tank water. Doing this means I could just about change 90% of the tank water today starting in around 2 hours.

However I have never cut with tap water before so I have no idea what percentage ratio I need to use.

My tap parameters:
    TDS:200
    GH:7
    KH:3
    PH:7.4

Tank parameters:
    TDS:150
    GH:6
    KH:0-1

If anyone could give me an indication of the ratio I need, it would be much appreciated.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Well, of course the nitrates that high are a problem. I never meant to imply different.
    LOL And I never meant to imply that you did. I was agreeing with you :o) Sorry if my phrasing said otherwise. You absolutely nailed it.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the &quot;good old days&quot; of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden123 View Post
    Thanks for your encouragement everyone, I really hope she gets through this.

If I only used remineralised R/O for the change I won't be able to do the required amount until tomorrow so I am thinking about cutting my tap water with R/O water and then remineralising to make up the difference in tank water. Doing this means I could just about change 90% of the tank water today starting in around 2 hours.

However I have never cut with tap water before so I have no idea what percentage ratio I need to use.

I
    My tap parameters:
    TDS:200
    GH:7
    KH:3
    PH:7.4

Tank parameters:
    TDS:150
    GH:6
    KH:0-1

If anyone could give me an indication of the ratio I need, it would be much appreciated.
    I think 1 part tap to 3 or 4 parts ro water. I think in that range you will be ok. But test like mixing 1 cup tap to 4 cups ro to see what ph and hardness will be and rember to declornate water before adding to tank.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks,
    Ill have to test a few samples to see which is closest to the tank's parameters.