· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: PetCo $1 fish

Default PetCo $1 fish

2 Not allowed!
    Was at Petco after work today just browsing, maybe looking for otos, which they did not have. But they did have a large number of the black neons I had bought there before on a half price sale - paid $1.24 at that time and the sticker today was $2.49. So I picked up 4 to add to the 5 I already have. When I got to the register, I found out they were only $1 each. Cashier told me it was their 5 for $5 promotion. I hadn't noticed any signs so was pleasantly surprised.

The original ones I bought maybe 2-3 months ago and they've done great so here's hoping these will fare as well. They also had some beautiful striped Raphael cats, about 2.5", for about $5.49 but unfortunately I have no place for one of these.
    Last edited by SueD; 04-26-2014 at 03:27 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Petco can have some very reasonable prices, but you just have to know what is a good deal and what isn't. I've seen some places charge up to $7 for Amano shrimp that sell most schooling fish rather cheap, and a much higher quality store with generally higher prices sell Amanos for $3-4 each(I bought 10, they gave me 12 because I'm a common customer )

I even recently managed to buy a 3.5 inch male Madagascar Rainbowfish for $10. This is one of the most rewarding long-term Rainbowfish in my opinion, and I got a head start on this guy(These fish are always sold for around 2 inches or less at the LFSs near me for $6-8, and they take rather long to grow), also putting my numbers to 9.

Anyways, you got a very decent deal on the Black Neons and pictures would be nice.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm pretty bad with pictures, but will try for some of this tank tomorrow.

I generally buy from a LFS, but have recently bought Panda cories at Petsmart ($3.59 vs. $6 at LFS - LFS was out of Pandas at the time and got them in after I got mine) and these black neon tetras at Petco. I've had both the pandas and the original tetras about 2 months and they have all done great. And you can't beat $1 per fish. Still waiting for Petsmart to get some otos in. These will often go for $1 also and I think my LFS is around $4-5.
    Last edited by SueD; 04-26-2014 at 05:45 AM.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Good score! I've had mixed results with petsmart and petco...I currently have fish from their that have lived for years, but I've also gotten black neons with ich that have wiped out some other fish. Because I don't have a quarantine tank, I usually just buy from another more reliable LFS.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here