· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 233 of 246 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2453

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    I understand your view Dan, but I still say people confuse hospital with QT. A QT tank is supposed to be unstressful for the new fish. A bare tank is not unstressful. A tank that has substrate, plants, driftwood or rocks is more conducive to a stress free environment for the fish. It can still be temporary,the plants don't have to be real, but it should be set up with the comfort of the fish in mind. If you think about it, it just makes more sense. For the record, this is not the only thing I do differently than what is considered normal on AC.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4 Not allowed!
    Hey, when I came in here he was already confused... just trying to help with the whole "biological bacteria" debacle. He doesn't have enough to keep the QT going, he won't have enough in the main tank to keep that one going, causing a bacterial bloom. The simplest solution is to use plants and he's already demonstrated that he can plant a tank.

It's not dangerous, it's not "experimental," it's a proven fact that plants will consume waste (even man-made pollutants) and he can do it. To suggest that this is something "crazy," is silly and he's been confounded with back and forths on what to do with the biological media he has/doesn't have, causing more confusion than necessary.

It's a simple solution, but if you don't want to do it, that's up to you. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

It's too early for this and I didn't get any sleep. Forgive me while I peace out for a bit.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Whoa simmer down Kevin, I agree with you. I am talking about QT in general, you are talking specific to Dan. You are right, heavily planting a tank will give a silent cycle. I am right, a QT should be stress free for the new fish. I never suggested your idea was crazy, and I'm pretty sure all I ever suggested was to put some used media in the QT filter and then ammonia to get it cycled faster. If you want the thread so there can be consistency of advice you can have it.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 

3 Not allowed!
    I think that was directed more toward me and Larry than you mommy. You raise some good points there Kevin and I'll apologize to Dan for adding to the debate and making this more confusing. I have great respect for you and I personally didn't intend for this to get heated. It just happens sometimes. Maybe I can help with the confusion by laying out the three methods in an impartial manner.

1. Bare QT tank.
    Pros - Easy to clean, easy to monitor fish.
    Cons - Must be fully cycled to use. Minimal cover adds to stress of fish.

2. QT with hiding spots and fake plants
    Pros - Easy to clean, adds cover for fish.
    Cons - Must be fully cycled to use.

3. QT tank with heavy stock of live plants.
    Pros - Not as easy to clean as the first two, but no harder than a regular tank. The tank can go through a silent cycle so it doesn't need to be completely cycled at first.
    Cons - In Dan's case, inevitably having to break down the QT and where to put the plants when that happens if he doesn't want to put them in his main tank.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

Default FishDan's 42g Journal

2 Not allowed!
    It's all got a bit tetchy. I'll come back when I can post something respectful. Thanks for all the comments thought and confusing me even more :)
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

Awards Showcase

And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA 
    Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus 
    got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    How's the weather there today, Dan?....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    How's the weather there today, Dan?....
    Actually a bit cooler man. Has sucked so bad recently that I almost bought an AC unit yesterday! That I can't really afford.

I sound like a whiney b**ch but my cheat has seized up and I'm not used to it. Give me Alaska!! :)
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    I understand your view Dan, but I still say people confuse hospital with QT. A QT tank is supposed to be unstressful for the new fish. A bare tank is not unstressful. A tank that has substrate, plants, driftwood or rocks is more conducive to a stress free environment for the fish. It can still be temporary,the plants don't have to be real, but it should be set up with the comfort of the fish in mind. If you think about it, it just makes more sense. For the record, this is not the only thing I do differently than what is considered normal on AC.
    I agree with the stress element mommy. I mentioned it in an earlier post. There is also the added movement of acclimating AGAIN back to the main tank. There is a lot about QT that confuses me!

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

Awards Showcase

Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishDan View Post
    my cheat has seized up and I'm not used to it. Give me Alaska!! :)
    Cheat? You'll have to explain. Is this one of those funny British sayings. Like boot instead of trunk.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA 
    Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus 
    got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishDan View Post
    Actually a bit cooler man. Has sucked so bad recently that I almost bought an AC unit yesterday! That I can't really afford.

I sound like a whiney b**ch but my cheat has seized up and I'm not used to it. Give me Alaska!! :)
    LOL...come visit me sometime....mid 90's F, humidity about 80% right now...and it's really not even hot here yet...but walk outside to your car, and you're pouring sweat

We need rain in a bad way, setting up for another early summer drought, that we do not need
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Page 233 of 246 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243 ... LastLast