· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help! Do I throw in the towel???

0 Not allowed!
    In April, 2008 my husband and I purchased (new) a Marineland 120gal freshwater aquarium. Three weeks ago, the seal failed and it started leaking. We drained it and resealed, but that didn’t work and last night it started leaking worse than the first time.

I love my fish and having a tank is awesome, but how often does this really happen? Did we just get a lemon? After sucking gallons of water out of my carpeting, I am understandably gun shy about getting a replacement if this is going to happen again. On the other hand, I have alot of money invested in the stand and all the equipment, not to mention my fish!

Opinions?

2 Not allowed!
    My opinion is that you got a lemon. Though, it's a lemon that lasted for about 6 years, so it's possible that something happened to the tank (either inside or outside) that would have stressed the seems, causing a leak. Tanks can last seemingly forever with the same seals, or at times they can fail within the first month or year.

How did you go about re-sealing the tank? Did you strip the silicone out first, apply alcohol to the area you want to seal and then re-apply the silicone, or did you just layer the new silicone over the old?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 
    for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 
    Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 
    Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    That is not the norm. A tank (especially one that big) should be built to last more than six years. You might see if there is someone professional who could reseal it. If you do happen to have it resealed then put it outside or in the garage and fill it up. Leave it there until you feel comfortable that it isn't going to leak again. This way you reduce the chances of soaking your carpet again.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that couldn't be normal for the tank. we bought our 125 gal freshwater aquarium back in 1995 and it doesn't leak anywhere. don't know the brand but we bought it from a pet supply business. is you stand capable of keeping it supported level.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, we completely stripped all silicone out, cleaned with alcohol and the reapplied all new silicone on all interior seams -- both bottom and sides. We did not, however, take the panes apart to re-do the inner seal as I have seen recommended on the internet.

It is the stand made for this tank. It has always been level and except for moving it from the store to our home, has never been moved.

When it first failed, I inquired at many places if there was anyone that repairs tanks and was told from various sources that since tanks are no longer as expensive as they once were (don't know why they went down in price over the years....) no one repairs them as you could purchase a new for the price of replacing the seals.
    Last edited by jberg120; 04-25-2014 at 05:27 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am done trying to fix this one. We don't have an indefinite amount of time to test -=- I have all of my fish in 5 gallon buckets right now. They didn't do so well for the 5 days the were in the buckets the first time, and have just barely recovered from that ordeal....

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    That is not the norm. A tank (especially one that big) should be built to last more than six years. You might see if there is someone professional who could reseal it. If you do happen to have it resealed then put it outside or in the garage and fill it up. Leave it there until you feel comfortable that it isn't going to leak again. This way you reduce the chances of soaking your carpet again.

0 Not allowed!
    Any warranty on the tank?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If you enjoy having a tank then I would recommend you replace it. And get those fish out of buckets as soon as you can (do you have your filter material in there as well to preserve the bacteria; and airstones running to keep the water oxygenated?).

Then if you like you can have another go at resealing the old tank at your leisure to sell and recoup some of the cost of the new one.
    50gal - planned community tank - cycling
    40gal - species tank - 18 tiger barbs

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Any warranty on the tank?
    Most tanks come with a lifetime warranty against defects.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Most tanks come with a lifetime warranty against defects.
    That's what I was thinking. =]