· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Help!!!

Exclamation Help!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi i come to you today very upset. I am fairly new to the hobby and was met with a horrible disappointment; when one by one i lost all my fish. This included 4 Malawi cichlids 3 juvenile JD's 2 Juvenile Red Terrors 2 pleco's and 2 red zebra's all was fine for the last month and a half. All my levels were perfect 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 20 Nitrate. My heater had broken about a week ago temp went from 81.3 to 74.5 in about 6 hrs before i was able to replace the heater and get it back up. the next day i lost 2 Malawi and i just took it as them going the shock from temp change about a week later the 2 other malawi also died and i became worried i did a ten percent water change and added Aquarium Salts to help slim coats and electrolytes the next day 2 of 3 Jd's had foggy eye and i found a Red terror and the 2 red zebras dead i quickly retrieved melafix for bacterial infections and medicated the tank withing the next five days one by one i lost everyone else what could have been the cause was it my fault could there be an issue with the water column what do i do please helllllpppppppp1111 im almost ready to pack up and end my fish keeping

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    So very sorry about your losses.

It doesn't sound as though water quality was an issue. You had an unusual mix of fish, however - generally you never mix Africans with South American's. their water requirements can be quite different as in Africans and SA's require different levels of PH, GH and KH. Do you know or can you find out what those 3 things measure?
    African's and SA also have very different disposition in that the Africans are MUCH more aggressive. They could have been bullying the others. There may have been a lot of stress in that tank and stress can be a game changer and a potential life threat.

I would be curious, however, to know how long the tank was set up, how large is the tank, how large (mature) were the fish? And did someone advise you to keep those fish together? If so, shame on them.

I suppose it's also possible that the drop in temp was the culprit and the fish were never able to recover due to the stress that was in the tank ...

The salt may have been the undoing of the plecos as they don't handle salt well.

Let us know the answers to my questions and any other observations you may have.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    How big is this tank. I am suspecting some aggression issues with all those aggressive cichlids. Also a 10% water change is not much. Is that how much water you normally change? And how often? Cloudy eye is usually caused by poor water quality and sometimes by injury. Were both eyes on the fish cloudy or just one eye?
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

0 Not allowed!
    both were cloudy and the built up a good amount of slim no aggression was really happening between species other than the malawi's fight each other for territory, i was doing 10% every 5-10 days just to make sure i gave a good amount of new water every couple days

0 Not allowed!
    GH just under 150 KH 180 and PH was just above 7.8

0 Not allowed!
    oh sorry its a 75 gallon in a 100 gallon total system including filters

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the size of your tank?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    Generally speaking, there are a lot of issues that could have caused problems with this tank, even though it's clear you were attempting to do a good job caring for it.
    My thoughts are: The mix of SA and Africans was a core source of the problem. Not only are the 2 types of cichlids incompatable (there could have been a lot of aggression going on at night after lights out), but they do requires slight differences in water parameters.

Also, 30 - 50% weekly water changes are generally thought of as standard by members here on the AC. Quite possibly your 10% every 5 - 10 days wasn't giving them the fresh water turn over that they needed.

You said the tank is 75 gallons and it has 100Gal filtration capacity. While not bad, ideal would be 150% gal or more filtration capacity to keep that water turning over.

Other than that, not knowing all the details (like how mature they were, how long you'd had them, if you'd introduced some fish recently, what you feed them etc) those are semi-informed shots in the dark.

If you set this tank up again, I would suggest you do some reading on both African and South American cichlds, decide which type you want to go with and do one or the other.

Here's a link that will give you some good basic info on Lake Malawi cichlid tanks.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...lawi_setup.php

Here's another link with some good information of South American cichlid tanks
    http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Optimu...et-Up&id=63456

So sorry you experienced this and I hope it doesn't discourage you from another attempt. We're here to help if you do set up again.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp