· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default amending a Fluval U4 so it is safe for shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Fluval U4 submersible and am getting some Red Cherry Shrimp. My concern is that the filter may suck in the shrimp.

My first question should perhaps be: Am I worried over nothing?

If anyone else shares my concern, then: What sort of pre-filter sponge thing could I affix over the intakes? Would I just tie the sponge to the outside (both sides of the) filter with fishing line? The intakes on this model are all along 2 sides, with the output in the front.

Also, the media has carbon in the side-out cartridges. I know not to use any medications containing copper in the RCS's environment, but am now wondering if the carbon will harm the RCS.
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

2 Not allowed!
    The carbon will not hurt them though it really is unnecessary. If you could get replace it with another filter to increase bio mass, you'd be sitting pretty. As for the intake it doesn't look like it would be a problem, though I have no experience with this type of filter. You can get a thin strip of filter floss to wrap over the intakes and hold in place with some fishing line. I think I've seen rubber bands used and they would be easier to work with, but I would imagine they would degrade over time.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

5 Not allowed!
    I had a u1 on one of my old shrimp tanks so I imagine the u4 is just a bigger version.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post

My first question should perhaps be: Am I worried over nothing?
    This type of filter can and probably will suck in shrimp. Adults will be fine but any babies are potentially at risk, I lost a few babies that way before I took action

If anyone else shares my concern, then: What sort of pre-filter sponge thing could I affix over the intakes? Would I just tie the sponge to the outside (both sides of the) filter with fishing line? The intakes on this model are all along 2 sides, with the output in the front.

I used a thin knit, but very strong tights which I pulled over the whole of the filter and cut holes for the outlet. If you do this make sure its not too thick or it will block up and disrupt the filter's flow

Also, the media has carbon in the side-out cartridges. I know not to use any medications containing copper in the RCS's environment, but am now wondering if the carbon will harm the RCS.

The carbon won't harm the shrimp but you would be better off removing the carbon and adding extra ceramic media or filter sponge
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both for your suggestions! I'll see about getting some black pantyhose, perhaps. I used to wear such things (fyi to the guys: they are not comfy beasts!) perhaps I still have a pair buried in a drawer somewhere...

So replacing the carbon cartridge set-up sounds less pressing, and could be a longer-term project. Maybe I could even stretch it out until the recommended replacement date, then just replace it with non-carbon.

The cartridges are a slide-out, plastic-encased little sheet. Half is a sponge and the other layer is the carbon. I've searched before for a non-carbon cartridge for this filter, but do not seem to be turning up one without the carbon part.

Can I just stuff some sort of sponge or something in those two areas, instead? I'd replace only one at a time, if I needed to for the BB colony. Or maybe I should try to pry open one of those cages and toss out the carbon part?

The third cartridge in this filter is filled with those plastic-looking cylinders "Biomax Nodes".
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    The carbon will harbor BB, but not very much.

I would stuff it with more bio media rings, gives you more area to grow BB. Most of us here don't use carbon at all, except to remove meds from the water after a treatment for disease, etc. I keep my carbon stored for future use, just in case, in my fish supply closet.

I like these, but they are quite large...there are many different types of ceramic bio-media: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Biomax-.../dp/B000HHSG5M
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

2 Not allowed!
    Try AquaClear 30 or 50 size biomedia. They are much smaller ceramic pieces and would probably fit in your filter. You can put them in a new, clean nylon (check for colorfastness). Add as many as you can and remove the carbon in about 4-5 weeks. Then use just the ceramic biomedia and the sponge.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

2 Not allowed!
    I have a U4. I have Amano Shrimp in my tank. None of them have suffered any run ins with the filter. Your results may vary. If they are indeed originating in river streams, then I'd think that the flow from your average home filter is not going to be of harm.

There are other thicker sponge pieces separate from the carbon pads. If you don't want to run the carbon I'd just take those out and run it without.

For the people suggesting replacing it with other media.... there is no room where the carbon is to put bio media. Its literally a flat sheet of carbon filter (like the mesh texture of a scrub pad) on one side and floss layer on the other. They look like this:

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    I have a U4. I have Amano Shrimp in my tank. None of them have suffered any run ins with the filter. Your results may vary. If they are indeed originating in river streams, then I'd think that the flow from your average home filter is not going to be of harm.

There are other thicker sponge pieces separate from the carbon pads. If you don't want to run the carbon I'd just take those out and run it without.

For the people suggesting replacing it with other media.... there is no room where the carbon is to put bio media. Its literally a flat sheet of carbon filter (like the mesh texture of a scrub pad) on one side and floss layer on the other. They look like this:

Thanks for explaining.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Trillianne ~ Thank you so much for your advice! Do your Amano Shrimp breed in there? Also, thanks for helping me explain my delema. A picture really is worth a thousand words! I was having a hard time explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    I have a question for you about the thicker sponge pieces you mention. Do you purchase these under the Fluval name? Do these have a solid border to slide them into the filter? or is this something that you just stuff inside of it?

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Mine came with my filter, they are behind the little carbon/floss sides.

Here's the best photo I could find to illustrate the parts:

The Blue tray that the fingers are pulling out, is internally faced with the carbon/floss pad but behind that is the foam sponges, the blue part is just a cartridge to hold the sponge and carbon pad. My filter came with them, and I've used the same ones, just rinsing them as needed for my maintenance.

As for Amano's and breeding.. yes they have mated, no they have not produced offspring. Amano shrimp maturation apparently requires salinity in their water, which I do not have.