· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

2 Not allowed!
    No they don't need a huge tank and i realize some live in the cups temporarily but i still think its two small, they could at least kick it up to a half gallon. And i have the same problem with my male veil tail beta, he shredded my dalmatian molly but gets along fine with all the other fish.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The points made here make me question whether any of us should keep fish, or other caged pets.

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Each person kind of has their own ideas about what is "humane" and what is not, and we could get into that for days, especially with fish (ex: keeping a discus in less than optimal conditions) . However, I'm sure most of us believe keeping a betta in such a small container for honestly any amount of time when they range for miles in their natural habitat (granted, sometimes in about 5 inches of water) is inhumane.
    I have to admit, I've bought bettas before because I've felt sorry for them, as I'm sure others have too. Which kind of goes against the boycotting thing....hmmm.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

4. Default

4 Not allowed!
    Betta are different from most schooling and tropical fish. They don't need a lot of tank room to thrive, but they still need some space, clean water, and something to keep them occupied. Anything around 3 gallons or more is extremely decent compared to what people who "pick up a betta" house them in.

I keep my betta in a 3.65 gallon tank with a piece of driftwood with Christmas moss attached to it for my betta to lay on. It is always active and never sits in corners or shows signs of stress. Sadly, when I bought it it had a fin rot that had to be treated, but it's almost fully recovered. It's a very fun fish to keep, and they can even develop a personality.

Bettas also come from very dirty habitats in the wild. My point is, when you buy a betta and you are willing to put any effort into it, you are pretty much giving it a home better than probably 70% or more other betta owners are, because face it. Most people just like how these fish have attractive colors and fins, and the store says they will do fine in a quarter gallon bowl with a water change "once in a while", which commonly translates to "once in a month". And it gets better, bettas have an above average bioload, so water changes are quite the necessity for bettas.

I as well wish people would give bettas more proper care, but sadly it fell a victim to quick cash.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    the betta in all my local lfs (in the UK) are kept in proper tanks, not in bowls. They are either in with fish like the corys or otos or they are in a divided tanks, always attached to the store filtration system. Don't see why it's so difficult for all stores to do it like this?
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 10x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta & black devil trumpet snail

2 Not allowed!
    you are preaching to the choir here. It's the non-hobbyists and beginners (who will find out in due course if they become hobbyists) who you need to inform.
    20gal long planted community

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The local store in my area keeps them in with other fish or divided fish tank too. they aren't even a huge business. But the petco a few blacks away that has a lot of money and tanks just puts them in cups. i don't get that.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As a previous Petco employee, I can speak for my experience only. We did everything possible to keep our betta fish happy and healthy. We tried to change the water daily, but we were the largest store in the area and you can imagine cleaning that many cups is extremely time consuming, on top of the customers who need help in the aquatics department. We kept as many betta as we could in community tanks, and for the most part I was able to talk people into buying at least a 1g filtered tank. After you mention you have to change the water daily, that filter looks really nice.
    2.5g Freshwater
    Anubias, crypt., Java fern
    Giger, blue male crown tail betta

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got a male half moon double-tail Betta from petsmart. This was 3 months ago. He cost $17 and he was very fat and swimming sideways at the surface of his cup. I figured i could try to save him or at least let him die happy. I still have my little guy but he had swim bladder (a sever case). I put him in my 5 gallon breeding tank with a filter, heater and everything. I feed him live food which he struggled with then i had to go away for 2 days. I told them to only touch the fish downstairs but instead they thought there wasn't a fish in that tank, i had a tag on the tank that said what type of Betta he was and they put my female twin-tail Betta in with him. When i got back he had no fins and was floating at the surface like he usually does. His fins have healed a tiny bit and he now lives in my community fish tank ( he also lived with another male Betta for a tiny bit in the community tank because my other fish knocked the large floating Tupperware i had him in while he was healing. they lived together without fighting but i dint want him getting beat up again so i removed the other male. sadly he will never be able to swim right again and spends most of him time floating n his side breathing.

0 Not allowed!
    Try feeding hims some peas.