· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Can a sick tang decimate an entire tank?

0 Not allowed!
    So before I begin, I now understand why the old salts on this forum stress the importance of quarantine.

I picked up a powder blue tang and after a few days it showed signs of ich. However the spots were only prominent the night before I shut the lights off. I sent my wife a text telling her about her fish so she would see it when she woke up. The next morning the spots were gone. So I waited to see if they would come back and when they did a week later, I started using paraguard to treat the tank. Then it seemed like everyday I had a few new fish die. I had a majority of the fish for about two years. They have survived a couple of random nitrogen cycles, so I was surprised to see them die. No other fish showed white spots. The day after the tang died, my bi-color blenny died, then my platimum clown, and then my premium picasso. After a week of this I still have a pink spot goby, two hermit crabs and a few other clean up crew. Yesterday I still had two of the three pajama cardinals but I haven't seen them today so I assume they died.

I tested all of my parameters and my sg is 1.025 my ammonia and nitrites are at zero. Even after all the fish died my nitrates are probably about 30ppm but my tank generally stays around 10-20ppm.

Another thing that is weird is on my three powerheads and on my overflow I had some green hair algae, some was pretty long, and that all died and turned white.

Hopefully I can figure out what caused this. I use ro water and I did do a water change probably a week before I picked up the powder blue. I use a rubbermaid trash bin. The water was sitting in there for maybe a week before I did the change. Can they trash bin deteriorate over time? I've been using it for a year and a half....
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you had ick combined with water parameters that are a little off wiped out your whole tank

You have to understand, marine ick is a little more tricky as it can infect only the gills of the fish to the point of killing them and you may not even see any spots on the fish's body.

Sounds like you also had a problem with your dKH levels to kill off algae like that even when your nitrates are spiking
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot to mention, paraguard will no meaningful effect on marine ick.

The below link will explain effective treatment options. I would also suggest to now leave the tank empty of fish for the next three months to be sure all of the ick parasite has died off.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/mai...yon-irritants/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]