· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ethical?

1. Default Is it ethical?

0 Not allowed!
    About 2 years ago I got back in to aquaria after a short hiatus. I decided to try something new and keep goldfish. I've come to the realization that goldfish are not what I'm looking for. So, I'm thinking of asking the lady at my LFS if she would be willing to trade me some different fish for my 2 ryukin. Is this an ethical thing to do? Or should I just tough it out until they eventually die someday? Not that I want them to die!

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Goldfish when given suitable conditions can live for many, many, many years. If your wanting to try something new, it would best if you can pass them on to somebody who knows how to provide and does provide the proper conditions for goldfish, such as an enthusiast. LFS are notorious for not providing these unfortunately.

If you decide to pass them on, if possible, try to inspect the their new home to make sure it is suitable. It is only fair on the goldfish that you make sure their new home is a good one.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon:High tech planted tank with 7 forktail rainbow fish, 4 horned nerite snails and red cherry shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    agreed. goldfish can get much older than most tropicals. at least the common varieties are well known to
    live into their 10's or 20's if given good care.
    finding a good new aquarium for them is probably the best way.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

5 Not allowed!
    Yes, it is ethical. You aren't giving children away, they are fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I would say try to rehome them to a responsible aquarist before returning to the store. Our local "big box" pet store will just pour the water out and let the fish die because they aren't allowed to put them back into the tanks when a customer returns them

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It is not inappropriate or unethical to re-home fish.

It would be good to ask the store, and not just show up bag o' fish in hand to make sure that its a store that does re-home. (Some Do, some do not)

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Se if you can find a responsible fish keeper who will provide them a good home through your local classified ads.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, some better stores if they can't take them may know of someone who will. Personally I think that giving the fish away to someone else who will enjoy them is a very ethical thing to do.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yep check with the store, try to find a suitable home (make sure you know the fishes requirements) and take this as a lesson to really reasearch and plan before finally buying a new kind of fish.

0 Not allowed!
    When I get a fish that does not work out for me, I take it to my local fish club meeting and put it up for auction,trade or give away.
    Roll the Dice!