· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I saw these at an LFS today, and I'm interested.

0 Not allowed!
    For $20 each, labeled "Empire Gudgeon Goby" I saw these:
    image.jpg
    (Got this image from seriouslyfish)

I was nearly speechless at the color scheme of these, reminds me so much of a saltwater fish. I thought that Peacock gudgeons were the best looking, but this changed my opinion.

Fortunately and unfortunately, these had ich, but my 55 gallon is only 2 weeks cycled so far. I would be fine with spending $20 each, implying they would live and thrive in my tank. Here is a picture of it 2 weeks in: image.jpg

If anyone has any experience or knows anything about these, please share. I read that they are hardy, but I'm not convinced considering how most likely uncommon these are.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept them but upon googling them I did find that they are rarely bred in the aquarium, which probably explains the price and rarity. Likely wild caught and therefore at least a little fragile, but it does sound like they accept a wide range of PH so they shouldn't be the hardest things to keep.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm. I'm hoping someone here will have owned one of these, but I'm very interested in these. Possible just a pair or two, considering their size.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did some more research on these today, and it seems my tank has very ideal conditions, other than the fact that they also can apparently live in brackish. My main worry is that the LFS that sells these has unreliable water(but an extremely above average selection of fish), but my QT isn't planted like the tank I would like to have them in. I'm not sure if this would stress them or not.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Here in Australia they are common. We can go to the creek and catch them. From what I know they are easy to keep. Here is a link from one of our local sellers.
    http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_da...compressa.html
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also why not put some fake plants or caves to provide some cover in your quarantine
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    10g nano reef

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you a bunch for the information! I would prefer just a pair for multiple reasons(don't want to overcrowd, and I'm already going to have plenty of bottom feeders), and here's a picture of my QT tank: image.jpg

I will be adding a large number of caves, also sand, in the QT tank because I am soon going to purchase dwarf chain loaches. There is already a decent cave in the QT, though.

My question is: Is it alright to keep just a pair of these? I haven't found much information regarding numbers to keep them in.

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

4 Not allowed!
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider purchasing fish, ANY fish, that have visible signs of ich, from a store that has less than desirable water conditions....

I would not risk the time or the money...just my 2 cents...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider purchasing fish, ANY fish, that have visible signs of ich, from a store that has less than desirable water conditions....

I would not risk the time or the money...just my 2 cents...
    Only 2 tanks out of maybe 200 had it and they were being treated. Other fish in the tank had the ich, not the Empire Gudgeons, but it was still in the water. As I've implied, I will wait til I trust the water of where I am buying the fish from to get these.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope this is ok mods but here is some info on breeding them.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...mpire-Gudgeons
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    10g nano reef