· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Simplicity's 40b, it's happening!

0 Not allowed!
    Hubby some how went into overdrive with building me a stand for my 40b so i have decided to give it my focus and move my current fish into it once it's established. (although the zebra danio may have to stay where they are. they do drive everyone crazy and honestly, I am not sure I can catch them lol)

I don't know anything about lighting or co2 although I have been reading and trying to figure it out.

I plan to use eco complete substrate and heavily plant.

the plants I have on my list are:
    • anacharis
    • rotala nanjensen
    • dwarf baby tears for the substrate although last night i found staurogyne repens and love it
    • rotala magenta
    • red leaved alteranthera (reineckii)
    • ambulia
    • penny wort

I'd like to use a soft sand in a bowling ball sized area for the corys to root around in. (ideas?)

3 bags of eco complete came in the mail today. the post office guy asked if i was buying bricks. super excited!! which puts me at 5 since I found 2 last weekend at my new favorite not so local fish store. It's probably too much but i figured I could return the rest to the store we have in anchorage. it just didn't carry it here.

I am going to use the mopani stump that I had planned on putting i my 65g but it was really a tight fit since it's not very wide.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going tomorrow to pick up plants (feeling much better about it thank you for the helpful ideas on another thread)

any suggestions on things that would make my fish more comfortable would be so appreciated. i have honey gourami, clown plecos, neon tetras, bloodfin tetras, panda corys, white clouds and maybe zebra danio if I can catch the rascals...lol
    65g: 12 Neon Tetras, 12 Zebra Danios, 7 Panda Cory, 2 Honey Gourami, 2 Clown Plecos, 4 Bloodfin Tetra, 3 Whitecloud and some snail hitch hikers... *shakes her fist*

40g breeder in the works. (too many directions to go.. can't decide)

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" Thomas A. Edison (i find this to be true in this hobby)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love most of the plants you've suggested as well as the fish. I'm a huge fan of planted tanks.

As for catching danios, they're actually one of the easiest fish to catch. Hold the net still and slowly shoe them in with your hand. Slowly is the key. In a 15g tank with 40 danios in it, I'd say I could realistically catch all 40 of them in about 2 or 3 minutes.

I'd love to see a picture when it's fully set up!

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Hubby just starting out with the stand. he has never put one together before

40b.jpg40b2.jpg
    40b3.jpg
    Last edited by Simplicity; 04-19-2014 at 03:55 AM.
    65g: 12 Neon Tetras, 12 Zebra Danios, 7 Panda Cory, 2 Honey Gourami, 2 Clown Plecos, 4 Bloodfin Tetra, 3 Whitecloud and some snail hitch hikers... *shakes her fist*

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" Thomas A. Edison (i find this to be true in this hobby)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh wow Zander! I will have to try that! I have spent well over 30 minutes trying to catch them with no luck at all. I haven't tried the 2 net method though, or the one when they're sleeping. lol it's crazy because they love the siphon. they totally stress me out getting too close maybe they smell my fear and dred when i know i have to try to get them. the last time i was changing the substrate in the current tank. they endured the whole process because i couldn't get them out. probably took 3 times longer because i was so worried and trying to be careful since they were the only group i couldn't remove.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Yay new tank! Will be fun to watch this progress.
    50gal - planned community tank - cycling
    40gal - species tank - 18 tiger barbs

Awards Showcase

Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    w00t w00t!! I know you've been prepping for this for a while. This comes at a fortuitous time for me as I'm about to go buy wood to build the stand for MY 40B and your husband's workmanship is indeed something to learn from.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I recently set up a 40B and 4 bags of Eco Complete did it for me. Fortunately I wasn't home when it was delivered!

1 Not allowed!
    Hehe. Multiple tank syndrome has truck again.

Unless you physically divide the areas for Eco-complete and the
    Fine sand, both will mix into each other really fast through disturbance when you clean the tank or when cories go through it.
    You could silicone a barrier to the bottom pane of the tank that is just taller than your intended substrate height and in the shape of your intended sandy area, and then glue Eco complete grains or something else to the top of the barrier to hide it somewhat.

However, even if you physically divide the areas the substrates will likely gradually mix into each other anyways, although it takes longer.

Danios are very fast, but I have to agree that they aren't particularly hard to capture because their are also pretty dumb and have short attention spans. Don't chase them because a fish In water will always be faster than a net. Instead, slowly herd them into a corner or into another net.

Last but not least, congratulations and best of wishes for your new endeavor.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you Jacoste!

Compass i had no idea he was going to take it to the next level, I just asked for a simple stand that would hold my tank and be short enough I won't have to use a step ladder to reach the bottom. (I'm only 5'4 lol) He spent his entire day off yesterday working on it. I told him last night he can build all of my stands from now on and he said "yes I am building all of your stands" it took him repeating it back a couple of times before I understood what he meant. lol He was hinting that this was my last tank. silly... for awhile but not forever lol :)

Sue I'm so glad you were saved the embarrassment of being asked what was inside. lol I'm so thankful gravel was the only thing in there. The boxes were pretty beat up.

madagascariensis dividing is a good idea! I have been looking into that some. Could i use a shallow bowl if i found one large enough? I am debating the sandy area. I am not sure how hard it would be to keep the blanket of dwarf baby tears from covering it also?

Why is it everyone else find the danios so easy to catch. lol ugh, I bet they're had a time mocking my efforts when i gave up lol I will try the herding idea. I can't let the fish beat me :) and thank you! I am hoping this works out since I know a little bit more and I'm trying to plan more.

I am scared to go through the cycling process again... what a nightmare that was.. But I have several weeks before I start that. I'd like to plant my tank and get everything set up and growing a bit before i cycle and add my motley crew. lol

1 Not allowed!
    I don't see any physical problem with using a (very shallow and large) bowl, but the protruding rims may not look particularly natural. I haven't ever heard of baby tears being particularly invasive plants, but I don't think they will make it over a rim that is high enough to prevent mixing sand anyways.

you don't have to cycle every new tank as long as you have a mature one up and running.
    All you have to do is
    a) squeeze out soiled sponges from your established tank into the water of the new tank and let the new tank's filter run to pick up all the bacteria you've dislodged. you would have to stock immediately to provide a food source for the bacteria.
    b) if compatible, just transfer an entire sponge(or more) from established filter into new filter