· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only snails I've had success eradicating are pond snails - assassins are great for these. I also have the tiny flat ramshorns which are too small for the assassins. But they don't bother me as much and I just keep squishing them and the fish love them.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snails are what did me in. Fortunately, I only had these in one tank but I had hundreds. I moved some assassins into this tank and they were not effective at all. I ended up tearing this tank down and upgrading to a larger tank and went with all silk plants. I have silver dollars which eat many plants, so I was limited in my live plant options anyway. But I now really like this tank a lot and the silk plants are quite nice.

Using a prefilter sponge on your filter intake should keep them out of the filter media.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    That is an extremely bad idea! In general loaches and cories do not mix at all. Loaches and "plecos" is equally a bad idea. Fights are almost guaranteed and cories are frequently the first casualties.

Personally I'm firmly opposed to this way of thinking. This got the clown loach firmly in most dealers tanks and it's also a weird reasoning behind putting dwarf puffers in community tanks.
    All botia loaches get along fine with plecos, implying the pleco isn't of an extremely aggressive variety. I've kept my l201 with 5 zebra loaches for a long time, and I also keep a Galaxy pleco(7-8 inches) with 6 inch Yo-Yo loaches; no fighting whatsoever. If anything the real issue is plecos fighting each other over territorial disputes.

Now, I wouldn't doubt that panda cories+any botia 4 or more inches would be a bad idea, but as long as there is territory, I doubt there would be a problem with dwarf chains. If it's more dedicated to just panda cories, that's a completely different story and it is not recommended in the first place.

While "hiring" a loach is usually not the right thing to do, I just was throwing ideas out because Simplicity seems to be pretty annoyed by the snail issue.

3 Not allowed!
    I just helped someone who lost three bristlenose over 4 months. A light with red filter during lights out showed that his polka dot loaches were harassing it continuously

What is wrong with trapping the snails?

0 Not allowed!
    What about just starving them out?
    It isn't going to be instantaneous, but in the long run probably the most surefire way to get rid of snails.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I just helped someone who lost three bristlenose over 4 months. A light with red filter during lights out showed that his polka dot loaches were harassing it continuously

What is wrong with trapping the snails?
    Different results, I guess. I've never personally kept Angelicus, but I know for a fact that they are nothing like Dwarf Chain loaches in terms of capability and aggression. There are a lot of aspects to consider if you are looking for a reason loaches are torturing other fish, but it is a surprise that Angelicus could do that. I would honestly like to know how many loaches there were, the size of them compared to the bristlenose, the tank size, and whether or not there was plenty of caves and territory for the fish.

The trap method is fine, and I do not think there was a problem. Again, I was throwing out different ideas.

1 Not allowed!
    I have had to deal with snails in the past and also felt overwhelmed at times when doing so

Manually removing as many of them as possible along with some extra maintenance/gravel vacs will help you get ahead of the problem and before too long, you will hardly have any snails. Just stick with it and give it some time to work
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]