· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year! - fishmommie   Happy Easter - steeler58   glad you're back - showmebutterfly   Happy new year ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by akamps View Post
    They are neon tetras. I'll look into getting more. Basically we got them to cycle the new tank. But it looks like I'll be cycling with all of them.

The new tank got set up, filled, and dechlorinated last night. We wanted it to sit for 24 hours to get to the same temp as our other tank before adding fish. I'm thinking we will keep both of them full just in case, and keep checking the levels on both. Empty one every other day or so, stocked one every day.

My other half still thinks we should put the tetras in the new tank to start the cycling and keeping the guppies in the smaller tank. Then it keeps the ammonia levels lower in each tank. But then we could potentially have 2 tanks cycling at the same time. BUT then if one starts to cycle then the fish could be moved to the other. BUUUT I don't want them being shocked.

I'm still torn. So I'm doing more reading before we add the fish tonight. Blegh.
    Hi there,
    I am doing my first ever cycling, but without fish. All these people are giving you great advice. Especially the part about over-thinking it. Read the sticky on cycling with fish. Read it again, til its almost second nature. You will start to see the basic building blocks of the process. It really is pretty simple.

You obviously want to learn and do it right, for the welfare of your fish. That's your motivator for getting it right. Honest, its pretty simple to do, just relax...and then sit back and enjoy.

and Welcome!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLady View Post
    Hi there,
    I am doing my first ever cycling, but without fish. All these people are giving you great advice. Especially the part about over-thinking it. Read the sticky on cycling with fish. Read it again, til its almost second nature. You will start to see the basic building blocks of the process. It really is pretty simple.

You obviously want to learn and do it right, for the welfare of your fish. That's your motivator for getting it right. Honest, its pretty simple to do, just relax...and then sit back and enjoy.

and Welcome!
    I'm a notorious overthinker! I'm definitely overthinking it all. I just don't want any of the fish to die :/ I have two of the prettiest guppies. I wish I would have got better info before getting them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year! - fishmommie   Happy Easter - steeler58   glad you're back - showmebutterfly   Happy new year ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Just keep following the good advice, keep learning and asking questions. you can't ask too many questions, believe me! ;)

It will all start to feel second nature to you, you'll see..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh! got any pics of those gorgeous guppies? Everyone loves pictures here..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Because I do agree with you but its hopeless to tilt at windmills - smaug   For finding the extra dollar! ;) - escamosa   For your nice tank, another neon! - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    So maybe this will make things easier....

6 gallons is not big enough for the guppies anyway. I was relieved when you said you got a bigger tank. Please ditch the 6g and move everyone to the 15. Move your filter, and have both filters running on the tank. Basically, your filter is your cycle, so you can just transplant whatever cycle you had started.

More water gives you more time before the levels rise to toxic, which means a better chance you will be able to change the water before it does damage. It is the best option for survival for your fish.

Abandon the 6g for now, until you have your cycle done, and the if you want, we can explore appropriate stocking options.

I love neons, good choice. They are perfect size and temperament for your new tank, but they will need at least 3 more buddies AFTER the cycle is complete. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!