· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I'll let someone who is more of an expert in dealing with ammonia in your tap water advise but I'm thinking you may have to use RO water if you wish to have a tank....

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I would test the water again using a different test kit. 8ppm doesn't sound safe for human consumption. Check the expiration dates on your ammonia reagents and make sure you are following the directions exactly.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think that it is harmful to humans but I definitely know it is harmful to the fish. When the cycling is complete I am going to have to figure something for pwc. Now back to my original post. should I just leave the tank alone until the ammonia goes to 0 and then dose it?

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Leave it alone until it goes to 0ppm.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have continuously been testing the water and it has remained at 1ppm for about a week, the nitrites were at 5ppm and the nitrites hover between 5 and 10ppm, now today I test the water and the Ammonia is at 1ppm and the nitrites and nitrates have dropped to 0. The temperature is 68 degrees. I cant regulate the heater because it only has two settings (I may have to take a trip to the pet store to buy a new one) I am starting to think this tank will never cycle its been 2 months now.

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    DEFINATELY get an adjustable heater...you should be up around 82F when cycling...I'd invest in a bottle of Seachem Prime, too, especially if your tap water is indeed 8 ppm ammonia

Do you drink that water?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-01-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I will definitely go get a heater. the prime is for maintenance correct or should I use it now? Also I do drink the tap water from time to time but mostly I use filtered. What do you recommend I get to add oxygenation, I have one bubble wand. Also someone suggested I use colony when the water went down to 1ppm others say just leave it alone, be patient. What are your thoughts?

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kailwidow1116 View Post
    Thank you. I will definitely go get a heater. the prime is for maintenance correct or should I use it now? Also I do drink the tap water from time to time but mostly I use filtered. What do you recommend I get to add oxygenation, I have one bubble wand. Also someone suggested I use colony when the water went down to 1ppm others say just leave it alone, be patient. What are your thoughts?
    The Prime you will use in place of the strescoat. The Prime will be used in the future once you have fish, it neutralizes chlorine and ammonia for a certain amount of time. The beneficial bacteria will be killed by chlorine, so that's why you will begin using it now.

If I'm not mistaken, there are no fish in this tank, correct? The fishless cycle sticky is an invaluable guide, please see here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

I would skip the "colony", it's not needed when a fishless cycle is done correctly

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No there are no fish in the tank. So I did not dose during the cycle once I started it because the instructions I had said to wait til zero to dose it. Could that be the reason my cycle is taking so long? Did I inadvertently stall my cycle? also it says no water changes but my water keeps evaporating which then stops the filter.
    Last edited by kailwidow1116; 05-01-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kailwidow1116 View Post
    No there are no fish in the tank. So I did not dose during the cycle once I started it because the instructions I had said to wait til zero to dose it. Could that be the reason my cycle is taking so long? Did I inadvertently stall my cycle? also it says no water changes but my water keeps evaporating which then stops the filter.
    When the water level drops because of evaporation, just top it off with tap water that has been treated with Prime...it won't affect your cycle.

The one bubble wand will be fine for now. Were you able to get a new heater?