· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Key point of going sumpless?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everybody,

Just curious as to what some of the biggest key things to keep in mind when going sumpless. I know heating and concealing any equipment is a biggy for asthetics at least. I also know it decreases your total water volume but other than that what else is a big deal about no sump?

Cheers
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Less to worry about.

1 Not allowed!
    It’s the limitations that I personally to not like about going sumpless.

A well planned and built sump set-up setup should not give you anything extra to worry about. You just have to be OK with the limitations of a sumpless set-up. These could included (other than what has already been meantioned):
    -less area to place/have live rock
    -less opportunity for a refugium compartment on opposite lighting schedule to help avoid pH swing
    -less places to add reactors should you want to use GFO, bio-pellets, or other media that works best with a certain flow rate
    -less options for good quality skimmers the larger the tank gets (less options for HOB skimmers)
    -Risk of a HOB skimmer dumping water on the floor as compared to a well planned sump
    -HOB skimmers are typically louder than in sump skimmers
    -can be add a little more work if you want to dose supplements
    -easier to complete water changes in the sump than in the main tank

There are also benefits to going sump less as well
    -less equipment to buy and maintain (less up-front cost as well)
    -more options for your aquarium stand
    -less heat producing equipment
    -better suited for small display tank set-ups
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-16-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff,

I don't really plan on running a skimmer currently, nor do I plan on dosing, and if I do I can just run that into the fuge which will be a HOB filter.

My biggest draw back is the loss of real-estate in the tank, but I want to keep it lightly stocked anyways. It's for a 20L so the skimmer issue isn't too huge since theres a bunch out there for smaller tanks that are rated pretty high if I do turn around and decide to run one
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    While I really like sumps, have sumped or sumpless set-up can also be a somewhat of a personal choice as well. Both can be made into healthy and thriving set-ups.

With your experience level you will be fine either way.

I would not worry about to much,
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Not over worried, just more a sanity check to see if anybody brought anything up that I missed lol

Thanks for the input, anybody else feel free to chime in!