· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

Default Let's plan this out.

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm in the planning stages of a hillstream tank. I have always loved this set up and I want to try my hand at it. However I am having difficulties selecting fish for such a tank. I'll explain why in a minute. First I'll lay the ground work on what I'm going to do.

I've got a 40B I'm going to set up with a two powerhead manifold system. I've got an idea I'm drawing up that would (if successful) allow me to have this system without any additional filtration. There will be no heat on this tank but it will be located in a climate controlled sun room. There will be variations in temp for sure, but hopefully not too much. I can see it getting warmer in the summer, but so far the heating unit has kept the room fairly comfortable during the winter months.

I'll have a base layer of pool filter sand and since I live on the Tennessee river I'm going to source my river stones from there.

Ok, now comes my fish problem. The mostly obvious fish for this tank would be the various hillstream loach ssp. These were the fish that got me interested in this design in the first place but they are proving very difficult to find here. I don't want to order them because I'd like to see them first (they have a reputation of being malnourished). That and the cost of getting a sizable group of them. I'm waiting to call a certain LFS I've not been too to see if they get them in or will get them for me. Right now I'm looking at other options. For the top of the tank I'm looking at either Giant Danios or White Clouds. Leaning towards the danios. In the event I can't get hillstreams I'll need other bottom fish. I'm thinking two rubber lip plecos and possibly peppered cories. I'd be up for a goby or two, but I've run into the same problem with them as I have with the loaches.

So here is the list.

Giant Danio school
    2 rubber lip plecos
    school of Peppered Cory Cats
    Possible shrimps?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, what fun! This sounds very exciting and I'm looking forward to watching you build this.

Both the Giant Danios (and actually the zebra as well) and the White Cloud minnows have spent time on my Fish Wish List. It will be interesting to see which you pick and why.

The Danios look awesome, but my concern was that they are known to jump and I'm not wanting jumpers... but they sure are cool looking fish! A LFS I've seen has both the Giant and Zebra Danios in a showtank together and that sure does look neat.

Which shrimp are you considering?
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Corydoras sterbai; Red Cherry Shrimp; Mystery Snails; an Assassin snail
    live plants: Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    Whiptail Farlowella Cats would be cool to be in this tank. I would not do shrimp in a heavy current tank. The only exception would be a bamboo shrimp to post up and filter feed.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Everything I read about hillstream tanks mentions loaches...I would not hesitate to order them from TWS
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post

The Danios look awesome, but my concern was that they are known to jump and I'm not wanting jumpers... but they sure are cool looking fish! A LFS I've seen has both the Giant and Zebra Danios in a showtank together and that sure does look neat.

Which shrimp are you considering?
    I'm going to get a glass top with a hole big enough to fit two power cords and two air lines. So I think I'll keep the fish from carpet surfing lol. As for shrimp I wasn't sure. I have read in the past there are a few types that do ok in this system but I wasn't sure which ones, if any.

Whiptail Farlowella Cats would be cool to be in this tank. I would not do shrimp in a heavy current tank. The only exception would be a bamboo shrimp to post up and filter feed.
    I thought about bamboo shrimp and I'd do that, but I thought they needed a more tropical environment. I would love one or two if you think they would do well.

Everything I read about hillstream tanks mentions loaches...I would not hesitate to order them from TWS
    Exactly, it's all about the loaches. I just can't bring myself to pay 18 bucks a fish + 40 bucks shipping for a project I've never done before. I want to get familiar with the set up and know I can pull this off before making that kind of investment. If I can get them locally, heck yeah!! But I feel like, in this hobby, go into something new slowly and you'll be rewarded.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    If I could walk to the store and get these, this is what I'd get.

Homaloptera parclitella
    homaloptera_parclitella.jpg

Gastromyzon ctenocephalus
    Gastromyzon-ctenocephalus-1.jpg

Gastromyzon viriosus
    Gastromyzon-viriosus.jpg

Gastromyzon ocellatus
    Gastromyzon-ocellatus-2.jpg

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Well, I guess so!...they are all gorgeous
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. I liked the idea of having a few of each tail color. Then toss in that H. parclitella cause that skin color looks awesome. Reminds me of a copperhead.

0 Not allowed!
    Those are BEAUTIFUL!! oh my. Such beauties.

I dropped in to the (fancy) LFS this afternoon and spotted a hillstream loach -- It was awesome looking!

I totally want one now -- but of course can't because I am not setting up the water current that it needs. My LFS very gently broke that news to me. *grins* I'm so excited to hear about yours.

Please educate me: Are any of your above photos a hillstream loach?
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Corydoras sterbai; Red Cherry Shrimp; Mystery Snails; an Assassin snail
    live plants: Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Don't know if you've read these - a couple of great articles about setting up a river tannk -

http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=5455

From the second article -

"Once your tank has cycled, start stocking with small ‘dither fish’ that will enjoy the fast flow and lower temperature. Some of the smaller danios, rasbora, and barbs make ideal candidates for this role as do the mountain minnows and other coolwater cyprinids such as species of Barilius."

I will be following your set-up, as I am seriously considering setting up a hillstream tank this winter. I think the loaches are the way to go. It's the only reason I want this type of setup.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"