· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Swimming in a circle help!!

0 Not allowed!
    I came home from work tonight and my daughters glotetra is swimming in a circle and doesn't seem to be able to move one side. :( help! She'll be devastated if lollipop dies

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    sorry the fish is having trouble.
    we need more information before we can help.
    what size is the tank and how long have you had it set up?
    how many fish and what kind are in the tank?
    when was the last time you did a water change and how much did you change?
    what do your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates read?
    we'll start with that.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I remember a little about your tank from a previous post, so making some drastic assumptions before you can post the responses to the other questions.... (and please do, they are important Qs)

Do a LARGE water change...like 80-90% if you can. Fill the tank with dechlorinated water the same temperature as the stuff you took out.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    5.5 gal tank. Glofish tetra, 2
    Platy. Had tank about 6 months I do a 25% water change every week. Never tested PH I need a kit. Water temp stays around 74. I work full time and never meant to make this a hobby but I like it. I did do a 75% water change after this and its not made a difference but I did notice she (her name is lollipop lol) doesn't do it all the time. Only when the lamp is on in my daughters room.

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I highly suggest getting a liquid testing kit, because we can only assume problems without knowing the water quality.

So since it has been a while since that last water change, do another one as large as you can (75% is good, 90% is better). Here is why: a 5.5g is a very small tank, and you have 2 platies that make a lot of waste. 25% water changes may not be keeping up with the waste (though GOOD for you that you do them at all). The waste will build up very quickly and cause problems. Even if you know about cycling your tank (do you?), the nitrates will still get very high.

It is also possible the lamp is too bright and disorients your fish when it comes on. Do you have places she can hide, like fake plants or rocks? It will make her feel safer, especially with the lights on. But there are still a lot of problems I do see with your set-up that can cause stress and eventual early death for your fish. I am going to mention them, and I only mean to be helpful.

5.5 is too small for your fish. The swimming room is not enough, and the waste will build up too much. It may lead to stunted growth if the platies are still young. To have a successful tank, you should either get a larger one, or return the fish you have and restock it with appropriate fish (we can help with that).

Your tetra is probably enormously stressed because it is a schooling fish with no school. You do not have a room for a school, so she will probably die from stress-related illnesses (weakened immune system) much sooner than she should. The fact that she is showing a problem already is not good.

Maybe explain to your daughter that Lollipop needs to be back with her friends because she's lonely?

The easiest solution I can think of for the health of your overall tank AND Lollipop is to return/sell her, and not get any more fish. She just does not fit in that set-up.

I wish the best for your tank, please let us know how things go, and if you want to make changes. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    I may try to get a larger tank. What size would I need? This is currently kept in my daughters room

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should get the largest tank you can get for the space and budget that you have. If you think you are going to stay in the hobby for a while, a 29 or 30 gallon is a good size and can accommodate a nice amount and variety of fish. 3 platies should be minimum (2 females and a male) and 6 minimum for a school of glow light tetra.

If you only want to stay with the stock you have, a 15 gallon would work.

Whatever you do, keep in mind you need filtration = to double the tank size. so for a 30 gal tank, you need 60 gal of filtration.

Continue to ask if you have more questions and good for you for wanting to make this work.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    It may be sometype of stress because they are a schooling fish.

0 Not allowed!
    So a 30 gal tank stocked with fancy tail guppies has fallen into my lap this morning. I'm planning on getting it on Tuesday. How long should I quarantine both tanks before moving fish around? I was thinking of moving the platy with the guppies and getting some tetras for lollipop in the 5. Is this correct thinking? Help :)

1 Not allowed!
    Also I ordered the test kit on amazon should be here Wednesday