· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Pregnant platy or just fat?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi! I'm fairly new to fish keeping and we've had my daughters tank for a few months. We have a red wag platy, glofish tetra (didn't know these were a bad thing until I joined here, my 4yr old loves her purple fish Lollipop) and a Mickey Mouse platy that was added last week. We did have a sunburst platy that I randomly found stuck to the filter one day so I'm not sure what happened. Anyway the Mickey Mouse Platy (bubblesflower) in the last two days is quite fat. I'll include a pic but I need to know is bubblesflower with fry or just a fatty? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397427641.972735.jpg

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I could be wrong because the picture is a little blurry and I can't quite tell if I am seeing naughty bits or gravel from the background, but that looks like a male fish to me. Here is a picture of the difference between male and female mollys so you can tell.

66207d1330473948-fish-not-getting-along-2862_male1female_1.jpg
    Last edited by mommy1; 04-13-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes! But the gonopodium fans out? It's confusing. The other one is for sure a male. It doesn't fan. This one does

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I guess I am not much help lol. If it fans out flat like the picture then it's female. Often when they get that large you can see the little ones inside the female fish and I don't see them from the picture. If the two fish are a male and female she is more likely pregnant. But it may be constipated which is common in these fish. I think I would try fasting it for a day or two and then feed it shelled peas to see if its belly goes down.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How can I fast it and not the others

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's pooping a lot

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You would have to fast the whole tank, it won't hurt the fish to go a couple days without food. But if it is pooping a lot then it's not a problem.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well hell. Maybe it's just a pig.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And there's poop everywhere and it's no longer super duper fat. Just chubby. And now that I've paid attention to what that back fin does it stays flat more then fanned so I'm going to go with bubblesflower is a boy... Eep.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like he *was* constipated, lol.

Remember when feeding that their stomachs are no bigger than their eye...I know young kids have a tendency to dump a lot of food in the tank, which is why I mention it. :)

Also, fish don't usually randomly die. I'm sure we could figure out what went wrong if you like.

Glad to see you on the forum :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!