· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    The sponge filters I use are rather coarse and I haven't had any issues with flow being impeded. There are some that are finer (almost felt-like) and those are not good.

2 Not allowed!
    having used two types of sponges and h4n's filter intake guards

Only the fine sponges or h4n's fine mesh will protect shrimp, the course stuff won't

Fine Sponge:
    Pros: Cheap, protects shrimps
    Cons: hard to clean well, eventually will reduce flow A LOT and need replaced, not the nicest to look at

Course Sponge:
    Pros: Cheap, protects small fish, easier to clean than the fine sponge
    Cons: tough to keep clean, eventually will reduce flow A LOT and need replaced, not the nicest to look at

h4n Prefilter SS:
    Pros: Easy to clean (just rinse and wipe off), doesn't reduce flow, protects small baby shrimp, looks good, smaller than the sponge
    Cons: Costs more than a sponge

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow thanks guys! :)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just some fine black low denier stockings on mine - never had a problem ;)
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oops. Sorry h4n. I guess I didn't scroll down far enough, only saw the caves. :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
    Oops. Sorry h4n. I guess I didn't scroll down far enough, only saw the caves. :)
    No worries ! :)

I know it super long haha

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One pro not mentioned on sponge pre-filters is that they host beneficial microbes that a) help with biological filtration, and b) shrimp like to dine on those microbes.

With that being said, after a few weeks of having a sponge prefilter, I have noticed it has reduced flow. I am reaching out to h4n to try out one of his prefilters to see if that improves the flow.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    It is been two months now and I have to say I do like the screen better. Better flow, smaller size, easier to clean. The only down side is that it does not seem to host as many microbes as a sponge pre-filter, or at least my shrimp don't seem to like to hang out and graze on it, where they were all over the sponge filter.

Thanks h4n for your nice prefilter!
    Last edited by ErikV; 08-26-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you like them...with a mature tank and a little algae, your shrimp should have plenty to graze on, like mine do
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
    It is been two months now and I have to say I do like the screen better. Better flow, smaller size, easier to clean. The only down side is that it does not seem to host as many microbes as a sponge pre-filter, or at least my shrimp don't seem to like to hang out and graze on it, where they were all over the sponge filter.

Thanks h4n for your nice prefilter!
    Glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Glad you like them...with a mature tank and a little algae, your shrimp should have plenty to graze on, like mine do
    And yes that's correct!