· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default New Tank, Need Clarification

0 Not allowed!
    I have recently bought a 29 gallon starter kit from pet-smart just under a week ago. I did not realize how much science and different things do into starting a new tank, and may have not allowed the tank to cycle correctly. My question to everyone is this. I currently have 3 tiger barbs, 2 Black skirt tetras, 2 dwarf frogs, 1 ghost shrimp, 2 peppered cory, 1 albino cory, 1 Bala Shark, 1 silver tipped shark. From the small amount I have read indicates I may have stocked the tank too quickly. Are these fish all compatible? I found out the sharks get anywhere between 11-16 inches and will be moved to a larger take in time. Also my silver tipped shark has got signs of Ich less then a week in. I raised the temp to 80-81 from 78. I also will be purchasing some Ich treatment. Below are a few other questions I have. Any direction is very appreciated.

I have will be taking the water in for a test until I can pick up a test kit.

When should I start doing sand/gravel vacuuming?
    Should I place some salt in the tank?
    Does the Silver Tip have Ich due to not being a brackish tank?
    How many fish can this tank hold before it too many?

Tank Dimension are 30" Long, 18" Deep 12" Wide
    Last edited by Gr3mlyn; 04-12-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

4 Not allowed!
    When should I start doing sand/gravel vacuuming?
    You should start changing water as soon as possible and vacuuming once or twice a week. Since the tank has been set up for a week, it should be time to give the gravel a clean. Here is a bit of quick reading to help you understand cycling with fish, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492
    Should I place some salt in the tank?
    Normally, for freshwater fish salt is not needed and with the catfish in the tank even with ich it is not recommended.
    Does the Silver Tip have Ich due to not being a brackish tank?
    Stress causes fish to succumb to ich, the stress of moving from store to your tank is sometimes enough. With that being said, your brackish fish should be in a brackish tank and I don't think it is helping that it is not.
    How many fish can this tank hold before it too many?
    This depends on the type of fish you decide to get. Your stocking does need some tweaking but let's get through ich and cycling first. JFYI though, both the bala and the silver tip do not belong in your tank, the black skirts and tiger barbs are too active for your tank, and need bigger groups. Cory's are highly social fish and need groups of at least 6 (more is better) to feel secure and display true cory behavior.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I you have time read the sitcky at start of begginer fershwater. Look for cyclein with fish to help your troubles. I dont think salt is needed. And ich is from new tank not because of nonbrackish water. If you could it migh be better to try to reutrn some of the fish or frogs. And with to add more at a later date. We all have hickups in this process but with a little help it gets better.
    What mommy1 said is great
    Last edited by cm12setx; 04-12-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: +1 to mommy1

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, Thank you for the responses so far! Looks like I will be returning almost the entire stock and starting from scratch. What would everyone recommend the best fish combination would be for this particular tank?

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You want fish that will stay around 2" or smaller IMO. There are many tetra and rasbora that would go nicely in your tank. But if you are willing, it would be best to return all the creatures in your tank and cycle the tank without fish first. Here is a link for cycling http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640 If you don't want to return everything then this is what you are dealing with, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have returned everything except for the Black Skirt Tetras, due to not having a receipt for them. My next question is I have been reading that Angel Fish would work great in my tank as I have the required height/length for 1 or 2 of them.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    The angelfish is a matter of opinion. I had a mated pair in a 29g and will never do it again. They were territorial and very aggressive. The male finally killed his mate and then went after everything else in the tank. He lost an eye diving bombing a kuhli loach. I put him in a 65 gallon and he calmed right down and never bothered any of his tank mates. Keep in mind that aggression doesn't always start right away. This fish lived with his mate and other tank mates for a little over two - three years peacefully before the rampage started. In my opinion, 29 gallons might be enough water for one or two angelfish but it doesn't give them the territory they want or need.

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed. The largest fish I would put in that tank would be a dwarf cichlid of some kind, and they are a bit too challenging to start with.
    There are many ways to stock a tank that size, but you seem to be going for a bit of a community tank. If I were you, this is what I'd do:

- 1 centerpiece, maybe a SINGLE small, peaceful gourami(dwarf, thicklipped, honey or banded). Caution with the dwarf. They are both sensitive and more aggressive than the rest.
    - a school of 8-10small midwater fish like tetras or danios
    - 8-10 of a small Cory species for the bottom

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Once again I do appreciate the feedback! I am going to give the Angel Fish a shot and see how they act. As far as other fish I was looking at getting the following. I have read the guppies are not a good fit for an ADULT Angelfish but do just fine with small ones. In about 6 months the Angelfish will be swapped to a 55+ gallon tank.

4-5 Cory Catfish for bottom feeders
    8-10 Guppies of various sort for the vividness of their fins.
    Last edited by Gr3mlyn; 04-13-2014 at 05:33 AM.

10. Default

2 Not allowed!
    If you like your black skirts, they need to be in a bigger school or they will be constantly stressed. A school is 6 or more.

So if you did:
    6+ black skirts
    1 angel (you would avoid territorial mating issues)
    6+ cories (ONE species only, mixing and matching does not make a school)
    and maybe 3-4 guppies (all males to avoid breeding)

it might work. There may be fin nipping issues, but usually those can be fixed.

HOWEVER, the number of fish you can have is dependent on your filtration system. You need a filter rated at least double the size of your tank. After you add fish, check the water parameters at least twice a day to make sure the water doesn't turn toxic.

Also, do NOT add them all at once if you are doing a fish-in cycle. It would be best to get the tank stabilized first before adding bottom dwellers or sensitive fish.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!