· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default White deposits inside aquarium tank

0 Not allowed!
    I had replaced the mechanical sponge in my canister and replaced it with a new one after giving a 50% water change.
    The very next day the front glass of my aquarium had a white buildup, I tried to remove it with a plastic scrubber and it came off and the tank glass was clean and I again gave a water change.
    The next day the tank again had the white buildup but in larger quantities, I noticed on the side of the aquarium glass it was something like a thin white shrub like colony that was moving with the water current.
    I again cleaned with a plastic scrubber and got rid of 90% of it and gave it a 50% change water again.
    Now its again back though in lesser quantity but its now on my heater, power head and on the aquarium glass also.
    My first thoughts was it is probably a bacterial bloom, because I removed the old mechanical sponge because it almost tore up while cleaning.
    But when I cleaned the glass with a plastic scrubber it was very hard to remove and was like a calcium deposit, but I am not sure.
    Any ideas what it is and what caused it and how to remove it.

Tank contains a Red Aro.

Size: 63 Gallons

Canister contains: Sponge media, Activated carbon, Ceramic rings, Seachem Matrix.

Problem came after: Replaced my zeolite with Seachem Matrix and removal of old sponge media

1 Not allowed!
    pictures would be a great help in trying to identify this...
    20gal long planted community

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    pictures would be a great help in trying to identify this...
    Here you go,

These were taken right now, the tank glass was much worse before this. The deposits on the power head can also be seen.
    The water is crystal clear and has no clouding.

Any ideas what this is ?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Did you rinse off the new sponge before you added it to the filter? Could be deposits of some sort from the sponge.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I did rinse the sponge pretty well, the deposits are hard to remove even with a plastic scrub and every time I remove them the glass looks cleaner but then it again reappears in less than 10 hours.
    I did some research and I found that zeolite takes up calcium instead of ammonia if the ammonia content in a tank is less and this problem occured right when I replaced the zeolite with Seachem matrix, would it be worth a try if I readded new zeolite in my canister.

0 Not allowed!
    The zeolite is pretty good at taking up a lot of different minerals from the water. We used to use some type of zeolite filter when I lived on my grandfathers farm to help reduce some of the mineral content of the well water.

Could the white particles be coming from the zeolite ? From what I have read about it, you need lower flow moving through it so it your filter has moderate to stronger flow, you could be getting very fine zeolite particles in the water
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Could the white particles be coming from the zeolite ? From what I have read about it, you need lower flow moving through it so it your filter has moderate to stronger flow, you could be getting very fine zeolite particles in the water
    No there is no zeolite in the canister now, I ll be getting it tomorrow as a last resort.
    Zeolite right now is my last bet, hope it solves the issue else its going to be very hard to clean the tank especially with a Red Aro in the tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have removed all the white deposits and the tank is crystal clear, I still have no idea why it came in the first place.
    And I have re added Zeolite and I have given another water change yesterday and things are fine, no issues so far.
    Thanks guys.