· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is my anubia missing?

0 Not allowed!
    I know there are tons of posts on here about what ferts plants need - and I remember seeing a nifty little diagram that Clif posted somewhere about diagnosing whats wrong with a plant, but I can't come up with the proper key words to run a meaningful search - and by that I mean one that doesn't come back with 5000 hits to sort thru.

I'm trying my hand at my first planted tank - started with water lettuce, that went well so I added a moss ball...thats going good...next was java moss as I wanted my red cherry shrimp to breed - thats not going so hot but its not dying, its just not growing - but its crammed under a peice of wood so its not getting all that much light. Then I added some elodea, which is going great guns. Then a fellow from my local reef club decided to get out of freshwater entirely and I picked up his anubia, along with some fish. The anubia is not doing so hot. Its growing, but the new leaves are pale, there are holes in some leaves, and the otos are not cleaning off the spots of algae on the leaves, which makes me think the spots aren't algae?

I think the tank needs a bit more co2 from what I've read, but I don't want to dose and am wondering if I can just maybe add an air stone (which I'd rather not do, I'm not fond of them) just to add more air exchange which might help with my co2?

Thoughts?
    fish 001 (Small).JPG
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Note: now that the leaf is open, it doesn't look yellow as this pic/flash makes it appear, its just a paler green than the other leaves.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    First off, an air stone is not going to increase your co2 but take away from it. From what I can tell I think your Anubias is rather healthy. They are incredibly slow growing plants that do tend to gather algae on their leaves if the light is too bright. Nothing to worry about, it is really hard to keep one algae free. (in my experience). The new growth will always be that bright green color. Give it time it'll darken up like the rest. From the picture it looks like you have it in the substrate. If I am seeing that correctly I would recommend pulling it up and tying it to a piece of drift wood or rock. These plants do not like their roots in the dirt. They need them exposed to pull nutrients from the water column. If you can get 100% cotton thread, the thread will dissolve at about the same time the Anubias' roots take hold of the drift wood. Convenient!
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah good to know. The holes in the leaves are new tho, even the older leaves are getting small holes?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Pull the anubais up and tie him off to something. That would be my first step. Could very well solve your problem.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    Holes mean you're low on Potassium or a few of the trace elements, likely magnesium. Looking at this plant it could be that your nitrates are very low, not surprising if you got eloda in there.

Dust off your nitrate kit and test. Next time you're in the shop pick up some Seachem flourish and add some once a week just after your water change

0 Not allowed!
    sheamurai ~ This if off topic -- and I hope you don’t mind – but I wanted to say you’ve got such beautiful wood in your tank! I really like your entire décor, it looks like a very peaceful, natural setting.

If you do end up finding that link to the chart you are looking for, I would love to read it also. I’m very interested in getting more plants, but I need ‘easy’ ones. I'm off to research more about the elodea you mentioned.

Your tank looks lovely!
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Corydoras sterbai; Red Cherry Shrimp; Mystery Snails; an Assassin snail
    live plants: Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

0 Not allowed!
    @talldutchie - I do dose Flourish once per week, maybe I need to tweak the dose a bit. I will admit its been awhile since I tested nitrates, but when I did they were 5ppm.

@RiversGirl - aw, thanks Rivers. After having 16 different tanks, I decided to give planted a try. I'm new to it, but after getting proper lighting everything seems to be going fairly well. The elodea is growing gratifyingly quickly, the nana is growing slowly but evidently thats what it does, and the water lettuce multiplies at a rate where i have to throw some out every week. The wood are pieces picked up over the years that migrated to this tank. All were purchased at lfs's.
    Your tank will end up looking good, you're taking all the right steps to get there, it will just take some time!

0 Not allowed!
    If you're serious about planting you might want to get a phosphate test as well and read a bit about the redfield ratio.
    Likely with just a bit more flourish your anubias will stop getting holes.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, I have a phosphate test in my saltwater box...I'll have to check and see if its any good for fw. I did read about the redfield ratio, a while back, I guess I'll have to review it as it obviously didn't stick. It didn't occur to me to revisit that to solve my issue.