· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is this ICH or am I just paranoid?

0 Not allowed!
    OK, so I’ve read the above-linked (sticky) articles regarding ICH. When I noticed these tiny white spots (3 in total) on one of my new Platys I of course freaked out and started researching/reading like mad.

I started gradually increasing the temp, utilizing the heat-kill method taught here. (Gradual increase to temp of 87 F; held this steadily for 4 days)

Shouldn't there be other symptoms too though? I don't think any of those that I read about were/are being exhibited by my fish. So now I’m wondering if this is simply his coloration and I am fretting for no reason. The white spots have not moved (nor fallen off) or increased. He does not rub on things.

The fish in question seems happy and eats well. I will say he is the most aggressive of the 3 male Platys and he chases the other two about a whole lot – not sure if that is any sort of indication of a problem though. Please advise me if you think it may be.

I will attach a photo of one of his white spots. The other two are on the opposite side of him. (and dang it is difficult to get an in-focus photo of this little guy!) Please weigh in with your thoughts?
    40 gal fw: 3 Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I know they're hard to get, but pics are very important in this case
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    40 gal fw: 3 Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt it. You'd probably see more specks than that and he'd probably be flashing.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't even see anything...maybe 1 little spot near the tail?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    I'd also vote for the probably not. Its hard to tell from the pic tho - it could be that its just air microbubbles on him - you seem to have a lot in your tank. I've had microbubbles on my marine fish before and had a minor coronary over it before I realised what it was.

0 Not allowed!
    It is hard to tell from the picture, but if it is smaller than a salt grain with the matte white color and texture of a cotton ball in miniature, I would undergo preventative treatment, especially since they are platies and likely wouldn't mind high temperatures. if it is shiny and spherical, large and/or irregularly shaped, then it likely is something else.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for your responses! I too am now thinking this is not ICH. I did treat (with the elevated temperature method) for several days. I went back and checked my log, it was kept at 86F for 6 days.

The extra bubbles are due to me setting the filter's output to the 'maximum oxygenation' setting, due to the higher temperature. @ sheamurai ~ Do you mean microbubbles could get under their skin? (yikes) or are you saying it could just be on the surface of a fish and then captured in a photo? This white spot is definitely attached or a part of him. I really am thinking now (after reading the opinions here, especially) that it is simply a part of his natural coloration.

@ madagascariensis ~ It is larger than a grain of salt, I think. Not matte and it is smooth. It is no irregular shaped though.

Thanks for easing my mind, everyone!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    No, they don't get under the skin, they just stick to them on the outside. Perhaps you've noticed microbubbles on the inside of the tank after cleaning? I guess the fish swim through them and somehow the surface tension gets them to stick on the fish.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    ^ ah, yes. Thank you for your elaboration. I do have lots of those micro bubbles. They form on my driftwood mostly.