· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PraziPro

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default PraziPro

0 Not allowed!
    How many of you guys and gals use PraziPro for preventive measures? I was wondering if I need to get some. I was reading about gill fluke worms in fish, how most fish have them regardless if they are wild caught or bred, and even if the fish show no symptoms. Supposedly, the PraziPro will not kill all internal parasites, but it keeps them in check enough to prevent any harm to the fish, sort of like heartworm medicine for dogs and cats.

What is the dosing procedure? How often do you dose? Is it completely safe for all fish, plants, inverts, etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3 Not allowed!
    I use it when adding new fish...I'll dose the tank as per the label when I arrive home with new fish but before they are added...add them and then skip that weeks water change. Never had any problems, but also no proof of any good, either.

The dose is 1 tsp to 20gal...they say one dose for the week is good enough, tho you can repeat every 3-5 days if necessary.

The last time I dosed the tank I had two species of shrimp, snails, fish, and water lettuce - no discernible effect, good or bad.

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that...so you only use it when adding new fish, and not on a regular basis for preventive measures?

2 Not allowed!
    yah...I figure good health is my preventative...but when adding new fish that's when you are possibly introducing new disease that might overcome the immunity of the current fish.

To tell you the truth, I only use it as a preventative to use up the rest of the bottle. I initially bought it for my african tank as some of the fish were flashing a lot, always around their mouths. Once a full treatment cycle for that issue was done, I still had 3/4 of a bottle left. So I decided to use it when adding new fish, an idea I got from Lady H. I'm not a fan of meds for no reason, but this stuff is safe enough that I figure its an acceptable segue from my non-drug preference.
    And adding new fish is the most vulnerable stage of an established tank, so I treat then. Once this bottle is used up, I won't be purchasing another until I need to dose a real issue.

oh, and btw, if I had a QT I would not treat. Also, the africans I was treating for flashing continued to flash after the treatment - either I had the wrong med for their condition, or the prazipro was ineffective.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 04-11-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for elaborating, sheamurai, I really appreciate that. Makes alot of sense, your reasoning. I'm not a fan of "meds for no reason" either, that's kind of why I started the thread, to get some ideas and opinions.

1 Not allowed!
    it will be interesting to see what others do. Some people seem to keep a tank treatment med kit - I have nothing but old leftovers which prolly don't even have any zap left to them - but I'm too cheap to throw them out, lol.

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    I have no meds whatsoever, I consider myself lucky to have not needed them so far. As you stated earlier, I believe clean water is one of the best, if not the best, preventive measures toward a healthy tank, and fish.

2 Not allowed!
    I've come to the conclusion that most meds have little effect - especially if you're late to the game in diagnosing the problem. Even more experienced aquarists have a tough time bringing fish back from the brink. At most, our diagnoses are guesses, anyway - we're not trained fish vets. Even if we think we've diagnosed the problem, there could be an underlying problem we're not seeing. For instance, a fish might continue to get fin rot, and we continue to dose for fin rot, but the underlying problem causing the fin rot is stress, due to a parasite... or stress due to aggression, or water params, etc.

I'm in agreement that a healthy tank and healthy water column is the best possible preventative against fish ailments, BUT I do have a fully stocked medical kit. Why? Because I learned the hard way that meds don't work in some cases.

You'll probably remember my talking about my Black Phantom and Serpae Tetra problem in my tank. They all died off, save for the one I have left (and I started out with 12 each, 2+yrs ago). When many died off, I replenished the stock and had the same problem. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them... my tank was cycled, my params were perfect, but they kept dying off (and they all showed different symptoms). Needless to say, I tried pretty much everything in a QT tank, and nothing worked. Every fish I would put in the QT would die, even if I thought the diagnosis was correct and I treated with the appropriate meds. So, now I have a med kit... full of leftovers and even things I hadn't tried yet (both natural and otherwise).

I no longer keep a QT, because I feel like chasing down and netting a sick fish, then separating it from its school/environment more than likely stresses it out more than just leaving it in the tank, not to mention you're stressing the other fish out, by swishing your net around trying to get the sick one.

I do have Prazipro (and almost out) and I use it the same way as sheamurai - when I introduce new fish. I also have medicated flakes for protozoans and worms, which I think works much better for treating internal parasites. I use this as a preventative or if my fish look sluggish or have external problems. I think that most illnesses in the tank are probably coming from internal parasites, rather than bacterial or viral infections - I honestly think those are secondary infections to the primary cause. Take the stressors out and you'll probably have healthy fish.

It doesn't hurt to dose preventative meds every so often. I would definitely recommend the flakes, though. I've seen fish go from sluggish w/ some fin rot issues to normal behavior very quickly. I've never seen the physical effects of PraziPro... so I'm not sure if it works or not, but it doesn't hurt to use it every now and again.

Sorry, that was long-winded.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kev...it wasn't "long-winded", it was comprehensive, and I appreciate you taking the time to document your experience.

Which medicated flakes do you use?

1 Not allowed!
    I used this one: http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedWorm.htm to treat Camallanus in my 75gal. Worked perfectly. Haven't seen them since.

And this one: http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedProto.htm to treat my Angels in my 40gal. They're susceptible to parasitic infection. I have noticed that since I got them, they develop fin rot now and again. When I dose this, they go nuts over it (love the taste) and they behave much more actively and healthy.

Both of these contain beta glucan, as well, which gives them a boost to their immune system. An added bonus. Like giving them a vitamin supplement, in addition to medication.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.