· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Best shrimp for my tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 39g tall community tank with silver hatchets, lampeye tetras, neon tetras, emerald corys and a baby african clawed frog. The tank is well established and I have a healthy amount of green algae going on the back of the tank. I was thinking of getting some Amano shrimp as I want to add to my clean up crew of corys and I really like watching the shrimp too. Would there be any problems with compatability? I keep the tank at 77, weekly 25% water changes and I have a nice big java fern, a big ball of java moss and a nice piece of drift wood. Filtration is a AC70 and a air stone.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    (I know this is a late reply, but hopefully this helps)

Anyways, Amanos would definitely appreciate your tank, especially with java moss and fern. They are one of the hardiest freshwater shrimp and most efficient to keep. Though, if you are looking for something to take care of your green algae, Amanos are not your answer. Sure, they will probably eat some of it, but Amanos take care of algae such as hair algae.

I am not completely sure what you are planning to do with the African clawed frog, because they will most likely eat anything they can fit in their mouth at adult size. That applied to your neon tetras especially.

Anyways, if you do want something to take care of the green algae, get 2-4 Nerite snails. They don't reproduce, don't eat plants, and take care of green algae like you wouldn't believe. They will lay eggs if able to, but the eggs will not hatch. They are rather annoying though. Nerites can climb out of the tank so make sure you have a top, and they will not thrive if your water is too soft. From personal experience, I can conclude that Nerite snails do work. In every tank that I've had a glass algae problem in, the problem was over in less than 2 weeks.

You could still have Amano shrimp for sure, just watch out for the size of your frog.
    Good luck with your tank!