· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Sick apisto. Is this fungus?

0 Not allowed!
    We survived cycling. Everything was going so smoothly. Then today my little boy woke up to a sick apisto. It's his favorite fish. The tank mates all look and act normal. There have been no changes to the tank in over a month. I have at least twice the filtration I need and the tank is 25 gal. We use the API master kit and test regularly, including today. Levels are all zero and always are. I did a 50% water change this morning. The tank has the apisto, 6 cory cats and a little angel. It has been difficult to get pics of this guy's ailment, so I'm just sending what I've got. Thanks so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    A cycled tank should have some nitrates, unless it is very heavily planted...how is the Apisto acting?...is he eating?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welp, I don't know what to tell ya about the nitrate. It always comes out as yellow as can be. Everything else we experienced during the cycle seemed text book. We change water weekly regardless. He was lethargic this morning, but he is swimming now. He normally sleeps under the log at night, but he's been hiding up top between the filter and glass. He was hungry and ate normally today.

0 Not allowed!
    How big is the tank?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    When you mention fungus, do you mean the whitish spots near his dorsal fin?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    25 gal. Yes, the spots. His fin is all clamped down now too, but it looks like there might be some up there too.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Which water conditioner do you use?...how does your tap water test?...do you know the kh and gh of your tap water?

The nitrate test can be tricky, you need to shake bottle #2 like crazy before adding it to the test tube, shake until you feel like your arm is gonna fall off, 2-3 minutes at least...bang it on a table, shake upside down, etc

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ogirl View Post
    25 gal. Yes, the spots. His fin is all clamped down now too, but it looks like there might be some up there too.
    Sorry, missed the 25gal part the first time. You have 8 fish in this tank, none of which are heavy bio-loads. The angel will produce more later on, but you mentioned he's a juvenile. It's possible that with your 50% water changes, you just don't have a lot of nitrates. I was able to do this with a heavily planted tank in a moderately stocked 75gal and 20gal tank.

However, I'd take Slap's advice and make sure your nitrate levels are correct. Could be one little thing is off.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks. I do shake, but not wildly, so I'll give that a try next time. Sounds like neither of you are leaning towards fungus then? If it was water chemistry would it have thrived for 6 weeks, then suddenly decline over night? I feel like all the other variables have been constant. Oh, and I use Prime.

1 Not allowed!
    It could very well be a fungus, but you'd need to find the cause of why the apisto got a fungus infection in the first place. Was it introduced from something new you added to the tank? Is water quality diminished and causing stress, thus making the fish susceptible to illness, etc? Once you figure that out, we'll better be able to determine what's the cause and actually address the issue.