· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Hornwort in a Temperate/Coldwater pond?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, everybody. Can hornwort grow in a zone3-zone 4 pond? I need some floating plants in there to combat a Green Slime Plague of near-Biblical proportions. Something fast-growing, tough, hard to kill. And it has to float, because the water level in my pond fluctuates hugely, which rules out water lilies, cattails, and some of the other usual suspects.

Thanks!

Tom
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure about hornwort, but anacharis and parrots feather are good if you can get them. You say your pond fluctuates a lot, as long as it stays wet you could add some Iris ssp. I have Louisiana Iris and I think Japanese Iris is another that does best in boggy situations. They will thrive in standing water just the same. Not sure how they would hold up to your temps vs mine but they are very hardy.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Another thing to consider. If you have any local water ways like rivers or lakes you can check to see what grows in them and get some of that. Though check with local laws before transporting any water plant. I know here I'd get the death penalty for moving hydrilla.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have thought about anacharis, too. Maybe I'll try both and see what takes.

My pond is not directly connected to the local waterways, so the Game and Fish aren't too concerned with me, for example, stocking it with goldfish (a BIG no-no for any locally connected body of water). So I'm not too worried about invasives.

It is about 35' across, 8' deep when full, fed by an intermittent irrigation ditch. I think someone upstream from me has either put in a feedlot or started fertilizing their hayfield, because last summer I had a HUGE algae bloom. This had never happened in ten+ years of living here, but it has already started up this spring.

The water level fluctuation is caused by the intermittency of the ditch, combined with a leak in the pond liner about halfway down. So parts of the pond vary from high-and-dry, sometimes for several weeks, to being under 3' of water. Finding a plant that can handle both extremes is a bit of a challenge, needless to say.

So, I need something that will function as a gigantic nutrient sponge, that I can just rake out if it gets too thick. Thanks for the ideas, Compass. Any others would be appreciated. I have a bunch of hornwort that is trying to take over my 55, and I've heard it does well in cool waters. Any other ideas?

T
    My computer beat me at chess, but it proved no match for me at kickboxing.

www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Get a hold of hydrilla haha you'll never see your pond again! Let alone the algae. lol I see now what you mean though, might as well toss in some hornwort and see what happens. Heck, throw in all three, may the best man win.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Hornwart survived 20deg freezes here in Fl over the winter but im zone 8 - Just to be honest though, when it gets cold, get a tupperware bucket and put a few cuttings in it and it will grow thick over the winter inside. That stuff you cant kill.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's