· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: curing dry rock

1. Default curing dry rock

0 Not allowed!
    I started curing my Marcos dry rock in a separate stock tank with rodi water and noticed my tds were at 024 ppm is this normal? will it eventually go down in time? I do not want to add to my tank just yet.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not a 100% sure but I think boiling rocks is the way to go? And these a test you can do with vinegar, drop a little bit on the rock, if it fizzes it will change the ph in ur tank. Dunno if that helps? I can try and find the article about rocks and wood I found if u like?

0 Not allowed!
    When it come to natural formed ocean rock used in marine aquariums, the vinegar test is useless as the rock will help to increase and maintain your pH at around 8.3. Same effect as crushed coral in that respect.

It is normal for your TDS to increase a bit as the rock will naturally leach out mineral like calcium into the water. I personally would be more interested in seeing the impact on your nitrates or phosphates. I would suggest getting a FW test kit and see if there is any impact yet.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, ditto what Cliff said. In saltwater, you want the rock to boost your pH, it helps maintain the water parameters of which there are more and different elements than what you watch for in freshwater.